Thursday, January 31, 2008

When It Rains It Pours

Why does it seem like everything goes wrong at once? Well I don't know the answer to that question, but it sure does happen to us.

Our sob story starts about two weeks ago when a major wind storm (one of the many) came upon us one evening. It was so cold and we heard weird sounds in the middle of the night, but didn't go out until the morning to check on anything. Low and behold, our gate to our back yard blew off the hinges and is now buried in snow and our grill, gas tank and all, blew over. We were lucky that didn't explode, but now we have an added expense in the spring of repairing our gate.

Then, last week Jackson and his friend were playing in his power wheels Hummer in the house. After I told them about five times to get out and go find something else to do, they somehow meandered back into the car and ran it right into our wall leaving a 6 inch diameter hole through the sheetrock. It was nice to be able to see right down to the basement from our family room. Frank, the good husband he is, did repair that pretty quickly because I was very upset.

Next, I went down to the basement, on Tuesday, to help the kids with basketball. As I was walking down the stairs I noticed water was puddling up around our bottom stair and then as I turned the corner our water heater was gushing water from a pipe on the side. Supposedly, according to the plumber, the T & P valve went out and he tried to talk us into getting a whole new water heater system. Well we just had him replace the valve for the time being. It still cost a ton of money for that one little part. I felt we really got ripped off by him doing that. I think he was taking advantage of the emergency situation .

Finally, the last straw. This morning I was watching my friend's two little girls and one was playing upstairs with Gavin. I heard the toilet flush and then Sophia told me that Gavin flushed a cup down the toilet. Obviously, this wasn't a big cup because it wouldn't have fit, but just a nice little cup to his play kitchen. Well everything seemed to go down so I didn't worry. Later this afternoon Gavin used that toilet and flushed. Next thing I know Jackson is yelling at me saying that water is coming out. Oh yes, it flooded and wouldn't stop. I had to bail out buckets of yucky water and run them into our toilet to empty them. Luckily, I got the water level down enough where I could take a second and actually turn off the water to the toilet. So... it stopped running, but is still full of yucky water and I couldn't get the cup out. Frank might have to try and snake it out. Ahhh!

I don't want to ask, "What else could go wrong?"

2 comments:

d.r. gib said...

I am sorry to her about all the home emergencies. I hope that is the end of it for you! I was thinking we should Gavin and Zach together for a play date. Let me know what you think-- :}

julie said...

I'm so sad to hear that so many things have been going wrong lately. Hopefully things will start getting better soon. My blog is now a private blog, so please send me your email address to kunzfamilyzoo@yahoo.com and I will send you an invite.