Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas

As I have read many blogs, emails, and Christmas cards this year it seems to me that I'm not the only one who hasn't been feeling quite the joy of the season like I usually do. Maybe it's because life is extremely busy or perhaps it's all the doom that is forecast in the media about the economy and the future of this country- I guess it doesn't matter, but needless to say, it just hasn't been the same.


However, there have been 3 distinct incidents that have sparked tears and joy for me this Season. First, the Temple Square nativity. I have heard it many times, but this year as I stood there next to Frank,who was holding Jackson, I was snuggling Gavin, and Camberlyn was all cuddled up in her stroller, I remember hearing the music and actually feeling the "Silent Night". I got tears in my eyes thinking this is what it's all about. I loved it. But then the next morning back to the grind. Unfortunately, that moment didn't last long. Second, this may sound silly, but the elementary school holiday singing festival (as they call it). Most of the songs sung were fun songs (heaven forbid they sing anything about Jesus) but it was enjoyable to find all the kids in our neighborhood, but the best moment for me was when the sixth graders sang the final song, "Where are you Christmas?" You know, the one that Faith Hill sings on the movie "The Grinch". For some reason, admist all the laughing and goofiness of the other songs this one stuck out and I fought back tears. It was nice to hear it. Finally, last, but not least, a little Christmas miracle. We have some friends who have taken into their care as foster parents (hoping for adoption) a little two year old who is quite adorable. Well just yesterday I believe they got a call saying that the little girl was going to be given back to her biological mother within 30 days and this mom and daughter would be living in the drug rehab facility. I can't even imagine the heartache- especially at this time of year. They have had her for 7 months, she calls them "mommy and daddy" and they ARE a family. After a day of heartbreak they came home to a message on the machine that said because of circumstances with the bio. mother the two year old won't be taken away and that the caseworker is asking the judge to change the case from "family reunification" to ADOPTION. I got chills and remembered this is about love and this truly was an act of God. I hope all goes well for them.

If you have a minute check out this video http://joytoeveryone.com/.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Thank you so much for this post. Especially the story about the little girl your friends are caring for. That really touched me. I don't know them, but I will pray that they get to keep her. I can't imagine what they went through thinking she would be taken from them. I hope they get their little Christmas Miracle. Good post, Heidi. I needed to read this today.