Monday, July 28, 2008

School Day Blues...

... atleast they are for me. Today was Jackson's first day of first grade. I was lost without him at home. I played with Gavin and Camberlyn a lot and got the house really clean. (However, it's not clean anymore) But it was quiet. Now normally I would think that would be a good thing, but it made me realize life isn't the same without him here. My boy is all grown up. Yes, I did cry after I left him in his class. I got home and bawled.

He came home with 2 pages of homework, a spelling list, and a reading book (to be returned tomorrow). I figured with it being FHE that on Mondays he will have to do all his school stuff right after he gets home. We didn't finish everything (including his 20 min. of reading) until 4:30. Crazy life has begun again. Wouldn't you know it, the first week of school just happens to be the week Frank is at Scout Camp.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Jackson started school????!!!! I just can't believe he is already old enough to be in kindergarten. And what is up with school starting in July? Are you in year round school?

The Mom said...

I too cried on each of my chilren's first day of kindergarten and first grade. But it gets better and soon you will be pushing him out the door! LOL

We also do homework right after school. After dinner there are always so many things going on that homework would get forgotten. Plus I am a firm believer in early bedtimes!

Finally, thank you for letting your husband take my son to scout camp! I know you are missing him, so thank you!

d.r. gib said...

Is he really old enough to be in 1st grade? Holy cow!! That seems like a lot of homework, especially for the first day. I am feeling sad about Zach starting preschool next month, so I am sure 1st grade is sooo much harder. Good luck this week, call if you need help.

julie said...

Wow, first grade. I have the same question as Melissa, is he in year round school? Katelyn starts first grade on August 9, but Kindergarten is full day here, so I am already used to her being gone all day long even though I don't like it! Tyler was lost without her last year. Our kids are just growing up too fast!!!

Angie said...

I can't believe how much homework Jackson got on the first day of school! I wonder how much he got today? I hear he's in an advanced class so maybe that's why.
Good luck getting through the first week, especially without your hubby.
Also, thanks for being willing to bring us a meal during our house mess. I appreciate that, but it sounds like you have your hands full this week. :) Let me know if you need anything.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Melissa and Julie-
Yes, he's year round. As a parent I like it, but as a student I'm sure he doesn't like it. Although, he has never got to experience a full summer vacation so he doesn't know what he's missing.