Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Traditions

I just want to post our Thanksgiving traditions- at least for journaling purposes.

* The Annual Turkey Bowl. We have the turkey bowl ball that we use, and whoever can be in front of my parents house on Thanksgiving morning at 10:00 am, PLAYS! Kids included. Now this is only a game of touch football, but it can still get a little rough. Some "Oops" highlights of past games: three years ago I ran into a mailbox, this year as my brother punted the ball somehow it went sideways and landed about a foot away from Camberlyn's head (she was our little cheerleader on the sidelines watching from the stroller), and also this year I went to either block/intercept the ball that was headed for Frank's hands and as I reached up Frank elbowed me right down on the head as he made the catch and ran in for a touchdown, and since we play in the street there are always the falls, scrapes, and scratches, but it's worth it. This tradition actually started when my dad was a kid and has continued.

* Early Dinner. We usually eat around 2:00-3:00. That way there is still time for a nap afterwards (which is just usually the men).

* My Great-Grandpa's Famous Stuffing. My great-grandpa Nick was the head chef at Hotel Utah. He was from Greece and an excellent cook. His dressing recipe is amazing, fattening, but amazing. It includes bread, celery, onion, special seasonings, sausage, and bacon. It's to die for and I'm sure if we ate it enough we would.

* Grandma's Chiffon Pumpkin Pie. Now although my grandma doesn't have Thanksgiving with us every year, we do absolutely love her pies when she does.

* The Perfect Turkey. This is the newest thing I enjoy. My dad, who always does the turkey when we eat with my family, has recently perfected his technique. He has the turkey soaking in a brine over night then cooks it in a bag, but he also, even though it's in a bag, has it looking perfectly brown on top. He definitely has his grandfather's talent.



*Pilgrim Hat Place Settings. This was new this year and I'm not sure if it will continue, but it was such a yummy suprise. These little treats that were on everyones plate before we ate were made of an upside down Recess' Peanut Butter cup, glued on with frosting to and upside-down striped Keebler cookie. Then a strip of frosting and an orange chik-let for the band of the hat. They were adorable, thanks Mom!


*Family gathered around in the kitchen. My favorite part. Specifically there was a time this year when me, my dad, and my sister-in-law were in the kitchen getting the final preparations ready for the meal and we were just chatting and laughing, my mom was walking in and out preparing the table, Frank and my brothers were watching football in the next room and entertaining the kids, and I took a moment to take in the smells and it was such a great moment- hopefully I will never forget.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

That picture of you and Frank is so adorable! Those moments when neither one of you is holding the camera...and together are rare, I know. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving -

d.r. gib said...

I can smell that turkey from here, yummy! Sounds like a great day. See you tomorrow.

Mindy said...

Those sound like great traditions! I had to smile when I read about your Greek Grandpa being named Nick... ever seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? "Nick, Nick, Nick and Nicky". It just reminded me of that. Cool that you have a chef in your ancestry... I wish my family was cool like that! :)