I have found a new show that I like to watch when I get a chance: "John and Kate Plus 8". It is a reality show about John and Kate who couldn't get pregnant on their own so they turned to fertility methods and got pregnant with a set of twins. After about 3 years they decided to try fertility one more time to have one more child. Kate ended up pregnant with sextuplets. Now they have 8 kids- 2 girls who are 6 1/2 years old and 3 girls and 3 boys who are all 3 years old.
The show is just a camera following them around and filming their life. There are sometimes when I get frustrated watching because the mom seems really grouchy, bossy, and overbearing, but then again wouldn't I if I was trying to deal with 8 children under the age of 7?
She does have help (friends, relatives, and neighbors) come in whenever they can to give her a break.
I have my bad days when I feel like all I do is yell, comfort crying kids, explain our family rules (for the hundredth time), discipline, entertain, or explain why kids have different rules than we do and that "Life isn't Fair." This is why I like these kinds of shows because I see what those parents have to go through and I'm blessed I only have three little ones to deal with right now. I'm lucky there are actually some peacful moments in the day. I'm blessed to have children that usually eat the same food that the adults eat (because I won't cook two different meals). I'm glad they actually can get along. I can do grocery shopping and go out with all of them if I have too. We can make it through sacrament on a regular basis with just a bathroom break (and not have to take them out because they are being unruly). They are spaced enough apart that I actually get to spend one-on-one time with each of them during the day.
Another show I like to watch on occasion [I say on occasion because there is only so much yelling and bad behavior I can stand to watch] is "Super Nanny". For the same reason above- when I see other families have their problem children and problems with parenting it doesn't make mine look so bad. In fact, I do feel a little bit better about how I handle situations when I get to see others in action on the T.V. Now I know they probably pick the worse situations to actually film to get good ratings, but none-the-less my kids suddenly become precious angels in my mind and I become a wonderful disciplinarian. HaHaHa!

5 comments:
We love Jon and Kate plus 8. We'll have to chat about it sometime.
Jon and Kate plus 8 is my favorite show! I have been wanting to blog about my love of it for a long time. I am also now hooked on 17 and Counting.
I LOVE Jon & Kate Plus 8! However, Michael hates it. He can't stand Kate, he thinks she is to mean to Jon. I can't imagine having that many kids. Sometimes I can barely manage Benson. I have a lot of respect for them, I don't know how they do it.
we DVR Jon and Kate every Monday. Part of the reason we watch is to see what Kate will do to Jon this week. I do feel for them, how tiring! But some of that sympathy goes away when they get free trips to Hawaii and Disney World, even to Park City. That would make it a little easier to handle all those kids.
Super Nanny has great tips, even if your kids are not as unruly as the ones on the show.
We need to get together soon! Miss you guys-
I've never see Jon and Kate plus 8, but I do love Super Nanny. I think she has lots of good tips so I like to watch it when I remember it's on.
Post a Comment