Sunday, November 16, 2008

Successes and Failures

I have been trying to eat more healthy and get my whole family to follow as well. I found a recipe for these Spinach Mini-Quiche things.



I thought they looked pretty good. Plus, they were easy to make. At the bottom of a muffin cup you have the shredded chicken, then on top of that is the spinach, egg, cheese mixture, then it is garnished with a piece of puff pastry and baked. I pulled them out of the oven, sat the family down, and me and Frank started eating. We looked over at Jackson, who without complaining, was plugging his nose, tipping his head up, and making the gagging- shivering movements with his head. We looked over at Gavin and he was absolutely refusing to eat them, finally he took a few bites when we smothered it in ketchup and mustard. This one was a miserable failure.

On Sat. I went to a baby shower for my old friend who is now my cousin. They had tortillas ripped into chunks then baked until light golden brown. They used these in place of chips with the 7-layer bean dip. One tortilla, which yields about 6-7 big pieces, is only 1 gram of fat. Wahoo!


I thought it was brilliant. Yes, I have baked tortillas before, but then I put melted butter and cinnamon on them or they were stuffed with cheese for quesedillas. It never occured to me to actually use them for other things. So I came home last night and baked a bunch. The kids actually dipped theirs in leftover frosting from a cake I made (not so healthy).

However, I have brainstormed and these are a few ideas that I think I want to try on baked tortillas: fresh mozarella slice and tomato sprinkled with the Italian Seasonings shaker; thin layer of fat-free mayo with a slice of turkey and avacado; fat-free cream cheese with a little cinnamon topped with an apple slice; fat-free sour cream mixed with taco seasoning then topped with tomatoes or olives; or just plain then dipped in salsa- or a dip. Yummm. I'm getting hungry.

2 comments:

d.r. gib said...

They both sound, and look, delicious to me. At least you are exposing your kids to new foods. Zach won't even entertain the idea of different foods. I will have to try the tortillas, the idea with turkey and light mayo sounds great.

Lindsay said...

You're so creative! I love hearing about your new food discoveries - even if they're ones the boys won't eat. They always sound good to me! :)