Saturday, April 4, 2009

Blogging Thoughts

Have you ever thought about blogging before? I have and it's time I finally post about it- I don't know why.
Blogging is a funny thing don't you think?
Suddenly, why do I have so much to say and why do I have to post it on the web for all to read? My life was fine before "blogs" but now all of the sudden I feel the need to share personal stories, embarrassing stories, thoughts, pictures, sayings, jokes, etc. for the whole world to read. Now some of you might think, "Oh I do it for the journaling purposes". That is great, so do I, but then why do I care about what people say, good or bad. I have kept journals my whole life and they were private- I didn't want others to read them, let alone comment. My friend saw a quote that said, "Blogs are journals that talk back." That saying is great because it's true. I do set some limits; there are some things I absolutely will not share, but I've seen where others don't have such boundaries.
I feel the incessant need to keep up and update often. Is this for myself or for readers? I don't know. Why do I think people will be interested in what I even have to say? I don't know. But I keep doing it.
There are many benefits to blogging: networking/marketing (if you have a business, hobby, etc. that you are trying to market), let family who live far away see what we've been up to, share information, journal, stress release (and then feedback is helpful to know what's happening is normal), venting, some even use it as a bragging outlet, and I'm sure there are many more.
Some people only post the good- why is that? We all know that trials come to everyone, so why put on a fake facade and pretend life is perfect all the time. I think it's important to know the hardships that help create our character. Isn't that one reason to journal as well, learn from our mistakes.
Reading blogs has helped me learn so much about my friends, neighbors, and ward members. It has brought me closer to some because we have a certain connection through blogging.
Bottom line:
I love blogging.
I love reading blogs, obsessed at times to make sure I have checked all the updated blogs atleast once a day. I like to know what people are going through and what they are doing- we can learn so much. I love commenting, but why do I think people even want to know what I have to say about their posts? I don't know, but I comment anyway.
Again, this is just my opinion that I felt like I wanted to share and put out there for all to read. WHY?

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Blogging IS a weird phenomenon. It has it's plusses and minusses. The biggest plus for me is the connection I feel to people, which I would otherwise not have. There are people in the ward I would hardly know were it not for blogging! On the minus side, I have a hard time reading some blogs because I compare my life to theirs. Because it is journaling for an audience, you don't always get the "real" story. Either way though, I'm totally hooked.

Liz said...

I too marvel at blogging. I sometimes go through phases where I don't want to blog anything and I'm tired of publicly sharing my life, but I get over it. I appreciate others lives and stories that encourage me along. I really like a good blog that balances the good and bad. It's easy to get into sharing only the good, but you're right we all have trials. Anyways, I love to read blogs too, but have tried to limit it to blogs of people I know. I used to click on blogs I didn't even know, but now I try to just keep up with people I do know. This was a good post and topic.

d.r. gib said...

I feel the same way! Why do I find myself thinking about a post to share? Going over it in my head before I even sit at the computer. I love commenting and receiving comments as well. You are so cute, and I love reading about your little family!

Angie said...

I completely agree! I do love that I know so much about people through their blog that I wouldn't otherwise know. It's funny because I check lots of blogs from people in the ward who are neighbors, obviously, but I know more about them through their blog than if I talk to them. My mom always finds out things about me through my blog that I forget to tell her when I talk to her. It's fun to share pictures, etc. too.

Jessica said...

Love this post! I am obsessed as well! And I'm glad I am not the only one who feels the need to check updated blogs at least once a day. :0) That way I don't feel so far away from everyone we left behind in Utah. I love it!

Melissa said...

I love blogging, too! I started ours mostly to keep pictures and updates for family that live out of the area.
Surprisingly enough, family aren't the ones who even check or comment for the most part.
I love that I've gotten to know so many friends better this way and I love your comments, Heidi! I used to DO more with friends and get out. The last couple years I have been so busy with various things that I've let some of the social things go.
Blogging fulfills a lot of my social needs. I don't feel alone in the day to day trials - we all have them and can share this way.

Mindy said...

It's crazy, but if it were not for blogging I probably would have no idea what any of you from the VR ward are up too.

Isn't it funny how comments make you feel validated?? I too love comments. It makes me feel like I have lots of good friends out there! :) Good post!

Potter Family said...

Okay, so I don't personally have a blog, but I love that my friends blog so I can keep up with their lives, even if they live just down the street. Thanks for blogging, when my life gets interesting maybe I'll start one myself.

Tia said...

I know what you mean. I have to check blogs almost daily. Like everyone else said, I feel like I've gotten to know people so much more through their blogs, that I otherwise wouldn't know. And I can't believe how much I've LEARNED about things, (like photography, for example), just by reading blogs! It's wonderful! I think I would have so much free time if there were no blogs or facebook though.