Going along in life there are certain people who have deeply affected me. There are a few in my neighborhood, there have been a few in my past wards, and there were very few growing up. You know these people. The ones that seem perfect. Everyone knows them even though they aren't the "popular" group and everyone is friends with them. They don't worry about what others think, they have a wonderful testimony of the gospel, and they are extremely positive.
Let me talk about my friend MaeLynn. I met her in 8th grade and stayed friends with her throughout highschool and recently reconnected on facebook. Now I did not live by her, I was not in her ward, I wasn't in her group- persay- but we were friends. Every so often, our groups hung out together on the weekends or our paths crossed and we would talk as if we hung out all the time. She never judged. She never spoke bad about anyone. She never gossiped.
She was born with scoliosis and I remember she always had to wear a big, plastic, back brace. Painful. She had back surgery, I'm not sure how old we were, but she missed a lot of school and it was a long recuperating process, but she was happy.
She got married and had five children in five years, yep that's right. And all natural even with scoliosis in her back. Her oldest is now seven and her youngest two. She has to be "Super Mom" with more patience than I can even imagine. What an example.
I just recently found out that MaeLynn was diagnosed with Nuroendocrine Cancer (pancreas and liver) and they believe it's in stage 4. I cried when I found out. I cried for her and all the other physical battles she has had to deal with previously in her life- even though she never complained, I cried for her children and her husband, and I cried for all the people who have been greatly influenced by such a wonderful example. I am being hopeful and praying really hard. MaeLynn is brave and strong, but she knows and she has taught her children that if Heavenly Father needs her then they will get to see her again.
When I think of MaeLynn I think of the words in the hymn, "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good" vs 1 & 2
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love
What greater gift dost thou bestow
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gently ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
Thank you MaeLynn.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Each Life That Touches Ours For Good
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is a really nice tribute to a good friend. Sometimes it seems that there are people that have such hard trials in their lives. It sounds like she is a wonderful lady though and has lived a very good life leaving behind a great legacy with her children!
MaeLynn is such an amazing woman. Thank you for this wonderful post in her honor.
Heidi, this touched me today. I lost one of my best friends to cancer about 18 months ago. She left behind a 2 year old and a 6 month old. One of the biggest lessons I learned from her was to keep a journal or record and update it often. Her journals are her gift to her children. They will know her because of her daily entries. I know I need to do a better job.
I wish the best for your friend. Isn't it nice you were able to reconnect with her?
Heidi that was a really neat tribute you gave to MaeLynn. Thank you. My heart broke when I got the news. Why is it that the sweetest people suffer the most?
Thanks for sharing that. It reminds me to document what my children are doing more, and not to take life for granted.
I'm glad you were able to get back in touch with her over the years!
Post a Comment