Thursday, July 23, 2009

10 Years Ago...

We were married in the Salt Lake Temple. Some memorable things that happened:

1)Frank and his brother made the cross-country trip, in Frank's Ford Contour, here from Alabama so we could get married in the Salt Lake Temple (his parents got to fly).

2)Frank's sister was able to fly in from Ireland to be with us on our special day.

3)Unfortunately, my brother was on a mission in Romania and I didn't want to wait 8 more months for him to come home so he missed it.

4)I got up at 3am the morning of the wedding and ate a bowl of cereal and started getting ready; realizing what time it was and that I was a little "out of it", I went back to bed.

5)When I got up for real I was sick and nervous. The sweet little sisters in the bridal room at the temple had a supply of crackers and juice for sick/nervous brides. They were so sweet.

6)It was a typical late 90's wedding- held in a cultural hall at a church (I made sure to reserve one with carpet atleast), had mirrors and flowy material as a backdrop, had a wedding line with bridesmaids that had matching dresses, had a sherbet/sprite punch, with chicken salad/rolls, fruit kabobs, and a temple shaped mint.

7)We saved the top of our cake for a whole year, but when we finally opened it it had freezer burn and it smelled a little fermented.

8)My colors were lavender and buttercup yellow (like on "My Best Friend's Wedding")

9)We went to Las Vegas on our honeymoon and had a blast (I was still too young to linger in the casinos and they wouldn't even serve us Virgin Margaritas at the pool without checking our ID)

10)We had a wedding video made (VHS), which we watched that first night and we both wanted to cry- what did we just get ourselves in to?

11)The day after we got married we were eating at Applebees and we saw our Bishop there- it was a little awkward.

12)On the plane to Vegas we heard over the intercom, "Frank Cole, please push your call button"- we suddenly got paranoid thinking that something happened at home. We quickly pushed our button and the flight attendant brought us over a bottle of champagne for the "newlyweds"- which we still have unopened (obviously).

13)Our wedding luncheon was at "The Inn" at temple square, which is no longer there, and we had various food items such as: fried log of lasagna, smoked salmon salad (that had no salmon), and a bison burger. Because I was still feeling queasy I settled with a grilled cheese sandwich that I took one bite of and was done.

14)Just one week after our wedding a tornado hit downtown Salt Lake and wiped out the "Sweetheart" tree that we had pictures taken in.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

10 years! That's awesome you guys! Way to go!

Angie said...

Happy Annivesary! I'm glad you got a picture taken in the famous tree before it disappeared! We were also offered champagne on the airplane at the start of our honeymoon. Only they poured it for us so we had to decline. That was the just the first of many offers during our honeymoon.

d.r. gib said...

My dress was yellow! Or Buttercup, I guess. One of my favorite memories is how hard Tyler was working to set up the fireworks that went ff as you drove away.

Melissa said...

I can still say that it was a privilege to be there! We love you guys!!!