Monday, August 10, 2009

Stress

Maybe I have anxiety issues, or maybe I'm too OCD, or maybe it's just time for the kids to go back to school- but it seems lately I am getting upset about everything. I had a really (I mean REALLY) bad night with the kids last week and I told a friend about it. I almost blogged about the details then figured I better not- but she didn't judge me she just laughed. Which made me feel better. She said it was good to blog about the bads to let people know we "are real". Trust me, if you know me at all, you know I have as many down, hard times as the next person.

My kids are sweet, polite, and great for other people. At church I only hear compliments about them, when I leave them with babysitters the babysitters leave me notes saying how awesome the kids were and they are so easy to get to bed. What is it about me that makes them act bad? Some of you can witness this, a couple of playgroups ago my boys got into an all out tackling, physical fight. WHAT? They don't do this at home, so why in public? They've never gone at each other full force like that. Holy cow. I was astonished and all I could do was push the one on top off because they weren't listening to me. Well, that just started the whole, "mom, you pushed me, you're so mean" and then came the tears. AHHHHH!

Summer is supposed to be a time of relaxing right? Well, it seems like my whole summer has been full of trying to do something fun and enteretaining almost every day of the week that it has not been relaxing. It's been fun, but not relaxing. Even if we go to the pool, the older one now wants to jump off the diving board, while the middle one wants to play in the three feet and on the slides (the cold pool that no one ever wants to go in) and the baby wants to walk by herself in the water without her floaty. So, obviously the pool isn't enjoyable for me. Vacations are enjoyable, but not with the stress of packing and unpacking, cleaning, and doing the actual traveling. Scout camp is fun, but only for the husband, not the wife who is staying home with the kiddos. I guess when your summer is so busy it's one the kids will always remember right? If the kids are happy then it's all worth it- which they are. I am too, but just a little too uptight, perhaps.

7 comments:

Mark and Kattie said...

I can't even imagine how you are feeling with 3 kids. I feel stressed alot with just one kid so I feel for you. Your kids will definetly remember all the fun things you are doing with them.

Kelly said...

I've learned that summers are hard for mothers. Granted, I don't have school-aged kids, but it's been hard enough with just my one. It's the heat! You do a good job as a mom, Heidi. You are allowed to have "bad nights" because you make up for it with so much good. You should still tell the whole story.... *wink*

Tia said...

I am exactly the same as you are. I love going on vacations, and I look forward to them, but by the time I've gotten everything done to get ready, I'm ready to strangle someone. I get so stressed out! I just have to remember that these vacations are some of the best memories the kids will have, and I need to have a good attitude about it ;)

Angie said...

I'm glad you are as normal as the rest of us. I don't know how you take your 3 kids to the swimming pool by yourself! That stresses me out even thinking about it.
We made it through scout camp, now when do we get our day off? :) I've been thinking too much about hard it is to be a mom lately so I'm trying to do better now. I know I wouldn't be happy any other way.

d.r. gib said...

As I read this, I felt you were reading my mind! I have been feeling the same way the past few weeks. My kids are fighting constantly, and Makayla has been fighting sleep. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night and I am feeling very impatient and angry! Not that I am glad you are stressed, but I am glad to know I am not the only one. I hope that helps you feel better as well!

p.s. I hate when the kids do things in public they never do at home, especially yell that you are hurting them! So frustrating! Good luck!

The Mom said...

We have all had those "bad" days. Me too. Hang in there. Just apologize to them. Kids are resiliant.

Potter Family said...

I know exactly what you are saying. This 3 months of summer is about going to kill me. Hang in there, we should go to lunch once school starts, it will be our reward for actually making it through.