Friday, October 2, 2009

Corn Maze

As soon as Frank got home from work tonight we were wondering what we should do. I mean it was Friday night after all. Since I didn't think ahead and get a babysitter (plus the fact that I hate paying them) we were going to do something as a family. Our first thought was the Homestead nursery, kid-friendly, haunted maze. It's really neat. This old couple who runs a plant/tree nursery just on their property sets it up into a little maze, with scary things to look at, but nothing pops up at you or chases you. The best part: totally FREE (if you bring one can of food per person as a donation for the food bank). It's fun for the kids. So I called- darn it! They won't have it ready until next weekend. :(
We had to come up with another plan- still something to do with Halloween. We looked online at all the things around our house and there was this corn maze (a little expensive, but I'm cheap and think all things like this are expensive) so we packed Camberlyn in the hiking back pack, bundled the kids up in gloves and parkas, and set off to conquer a corn maze.
With this being the kids first experience doing something like this we opted out of paying for the "haunted" part. Who thinks it's funny to frighten their youngsters with chainsaws anyway?
When we got out of the car there were so many teenagers around and I felt kind of dorky with three small children, but as the night went on we saw a few people with very young children. The teenagers were mostly waiting for the Haunted Maze to begin.
I found out we are a very directionally challenged family. It took us about an hour to get out. At certain times we would try and scare the kids by hiding in the deadends and jumping out, but they weren't having it. Nothing really mattered to them except finding our way. They were determined. After a while Gavin said, "I'm so sad that we are lost." And as it got darker and we could no longer really see where we were going I think the boys got a little nervous although they won't admit it.
All in all, it wore them out- hopefully, they'll sleep well tonight- and they both said, "that was awesome." Yes, score for mom and dad!
Sidenote:
On the way home Jackson kept saying, "Dad I really wanted to do the haunted part." "Why couldn't we do the haunted part?" "Dad, I'm not some baby, I wouldn't have been scared."
When Frank and I kept replying, "Yes, you would have been scared, it's not fun to be that scared."
Finally Jackson replied, "You guys just don't know how I roll!"

5 comments:

Tia said...

Kids say the darndest things. You'll have to give me the info for that nursery one! I'd love to take the kids to a free one!

Angie said...

I'm with Tia, please share the information on the free corn maze. We were thinking of going to a corn maze this year too.

Melissa said...

Ha ha ha! Remember the haunted maze we went to in Rexburg? Never again!!!

Mindy said...

Hey! We were just talking about doing a corn maze! Do share! Jackson is such a crap up! "You just don't know how I roll!"

Melissa said...

I died laughing at Jackson's comment...whatta cool little busy bone he's turning out to be!!

Bryan