Friday, October 23, 2009

Meet Zoe... Our New Pet

Here is the saga of how all of this got started. I am not shy about the fact that I have never wanted a pet. I grew up with many and so did Frank, but I still haven't wanted one at this phase in my life. However, after many discussions with the kids and Frank I decided it was selfish to deny the kids the opportunity to be responsible for a pet, have fun and play with a pet, and learn about life: growing, cleaning, their environment, nutrition, and yes eventually dying (this is the part I wanted to protect them from forever). So Frank went to many pet stores to find out about gerbils or hamsters. Every single one of the employees told him that with the ages of our kids we don't want either one of those little creatures. They are fairly dumb, meaning they don't learn their masters; this results in biting and not wanting to be held or played with easily. They get scared when you want to handle them and just aren't fun. The best pet for this age group is a RAT. Yep, a rat. When Frank told me all of this I didn't believe him. I took a day to go find out for myself from several other pet stores that he didn't go to. Well... it turns out it's all true. They are gentle, soft, trainable, obsessed with cleaning and grooming themselves, they don't like a messy home, and they can learn their name. This just pertains to domestic rats, not the yucky wild ones outside.


Here she is- red eyes and all.


6 comments:

Tia said...

Well,.... she's umm... cute? Congrats on getting a pet. And not getting a dog :)

Potter Family said...

I read this to Mark and he agreed, but that still doesn't make me want to get one. After having a mouse in my house those little beady eyes creep me out. I am sure your kids will love having a pet.

Angie said...

You are one incredible woman to deal with a rat as a pet. No thank you. Hope the kids are enjoying it though.

d.r. gib said...

you are amazing, I couldn't do it! Hopefully he will live longer then your turtle!

Lindsay said...

I'm amazed. After reading your post I told Jason I could maybe have a rat and HE'S the one that said "No way! The only way I'll have a rat is if it's because I'm feeding it to our pet SNAKE!"
He's nuts.

I think rats sound manageable from your post. :)

Kristen said...

Brave you are! Gives me the creeps! No pets in this house. My kids will look back on their childhood and resent us forever for not allowing pets. :)