I haven't blogged in a while.
I've been trying to finish organizing things for Christmas, buying presents, and mailing things. I'm curious to know what people do with their children, is there a set number of gifts for everyone or is there a money limit for each child? Our kids are young and don't understand the quality over quantity issue yet, so for us it's all about being even.
I've been trying to decide on neighbor gifts this year, whether to do or not to do them. It's not that I don't love my friends and neighbors I just haven't come up with anything good.
We had a fun Enrichment this week all about cute little neighbor gifts and there were some great ideas. However, if I don't get to them this year, definitely next year.
Frank and I went to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert featuring Natalie Cole and David McCollough. It was amazing. Nothing like bringing in the Spirit of Christmas through music and dancing. I loved it and they sure do know how to perform. It was actually the very first time I've attended an event in the new Conference Center. Crazy huh? The only downfall- the hour and ten minute ordeal to get home. It made for one late night.
I've been following the hip2save blog religiously for the last week and have scored some awesome deals. It gets me so excited. For example, we bought a little Trio block set for Gavin for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving- on sale and with a coupon it came to $24.99. Well... I found the HUGE Trio set- originally $70.00 in the store- on sale on Amazon for 34.99, plus I had a code for $10.00 off, plus free shipping. So now I can take back the small one, give the big one for the exact same price. Do you know how happy I am? Plus, it arrived in the mail TODAY! Talk about service.
I've also been preparing a lesson that I have to teach in R.S. on Sunday. That always gets me anxious the couple days before as I'm trying to put my thoughts together to make sense. We'll see how it goes.
I've had four family members/good friends in the last month who I've found out are going through a divorce or splitting up. Each time I hear this I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. I can't believe it. What is going on? I don't know all the circumstances of each side, but I don't really know how to handle these situations. Do I pretend like everything is normal? Do they want to talk about it? Do I bring it up? I know it's important to just be there for them, but I don't know what else to do. Any advice on this?? Please?
Well... that is about all that has been going on. I'm going to bed now.
Friday, December 11, 2009
Ramblings of My Week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hip2Save is getting me into trouble. On the bright side, my yummy VS perfumes came yesterday, and they made me very happy!
On the divorce thing - I have no idea. I've had several aunts go through separations/divorces. It's really sad. I heard somewhere that the kind of process you go through after a divorce can be akin to grieving a death. I think I would certainly feel that way. And it is a kind of "death" - the death of a marriage. This is a rambling comment...but I guess I could say that having been through death, you don't want to ignore the issue. Don't pretend like nothing's going on. Just be supportive I guess? I'm not really helping. :)
My mom tried to always have a price per child and number of gifts limit. So, if you got an expensive gift you also got 3 or 4 $1 gifts so you'd have the same number to open. I don't know what I'll do, it's not a problem yet.
Neighbor gifts are difficult for me. If we gave to everyone that I'd like, we'd have 100+ plates of treats.
You teach great lessons. I'm sure this one will be no different.
Divorce... I agree with Kelly, it is a death. Be there. Be open to talking. Ask how things are going. If they want to talk they usually will. Never say anything negative about the one they separated from. A part of them will always be in love. And, it makes them feel like you think they make bad choices. Listening is always better than speaking. Say a silent prayer and let the Spirit guide you. You will find wisdom beyond your experience.
I LOVE Hip2save. But shhh..don't tell too many people about it or all the deals will be gone! :) Only kidding. I had another friend find something on that site that she had already bought. She was able to return what she already bought and buy two other toys for the same price as the original item. It was like scoring 2 toys free. Sweet!
Coming from a divorce family, yet never been divorced. I would let your friends bring it up. Just let them know you have a listening ear.
I'm excited for your lesson tomorrow!
We have a dollar limit we set for gifts. As for neighbor gifts, our neighborhood has an understanding, instead of gifts we donate to a family in need. This year we are gathering gifts for the bishop's store house. A couple years ago we helped a family who's 1 year old had passed away around the holidays. I love it so much more then a plate of cookies that my belly does NOT need.
As for the divorce thing, I am with you Heidi, what do we do? Right now, the door is open for her anytime to talk.
Post a Comment