Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Birds

I was eating lunch yesterday and heard a bunch of squeaking noises. My first thought, oh my gosh we have a ton of mice in the walls, but then I stood up and it was coming from outside. I carefully looked out our front window and there were hundreds of chirping birds on our front lawn and in our trees looking for seeds, bugs, and the little berries that were on our trees. It was crazy and creepy. Flashes of the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" came to my mind. I lifted the blinds to take a picture and they flew out west into a huge circle and then came back and landed exactly where they had been. Weird. I was able to take a picture of just a small corner of them on our lawn because our Christmas tree was right in the way to get a whole panoramic view of our yard.





Notice all the tiny blurry dots in the background, yep that's them after I opened the blinds. They all swarmed away and then quickly came back to leave my trees completely berry-less.

3 comments:

julie said...

Wow, thats crazy. In Athens, GA they didn't cut the trees behind the backyards so that eventhough there were houses right behind you, you couldn't see them through the trees. Anyway, every year when the birds would fly south for the winter, the trees would be covered in birds and it was so loud!

Melissa said...

We noticed all the birds on the neighbor's homes this morning. On or way home from the brunch, we saw there were a ton on the top of your house as well. Kinda of creepy! Luckily we have a lot more winter too wash away the bird poo that is sure to be left when they're gone!

Angie said...

Brooklyn noticed them yesterday morning too. She said there were hundreds of birds outside! I'm glad your tree was able to feed them. I'm sure they are hungry.