Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bathroom Project Update

To answer some of your questions about this project-

First, just keep in mind I wanted to go as cheap and quick as possible. I got a free sample of the Sage green paint (in quart size) so that is why the wall is green. The other color I just wanted to freshen up the walls-cheapest paint I could get (I ended up going to Lowe's, but I know I could have gone cheaper at maybe Wal-Mart or Sears).

Second, I actually unscrewed the towel rack, vanity light, and toilet paper holder from the walls and spray painted them in my garage on newspaper. I used a $1.00 can of spray paint from the paint aisle at Wal-Mart, with matte finish, making sure it specifically said I could spray paint metal. I figured if it didn't turn out, no loss there. It didn't take long to dry- within a couple of hours those were all done and I could've put them back up had I not been painting as well.
Actually, I did not spray paint the cabinets, although I know others who have. I sanded, primed, and used a small can of interior black paint and paintbrush on them. I didn't want a shiny finish, so I haven't put anything else on them as far as a sealer (I'm looking for one with a matte finish). I did end up unscrewing the doors because that was easier to get in crevices. If I would have thought of it and could have found a way to seal off everything else I totally would have spray painted these as well

Third, the flooring is awesome. Again, I wanted cheap, especially since this was an experiment. I got them at Lowe's. They came to $2.40 ('ish) a tile (but they measure 18 inches x 18 inches), which equals about .99 a square foot. Those big vinyl tiles already have adhesive on the back. They can lay down on your preexisting flooring as long as it's nonporous and completely flat (which mine isn't 100% flat) but I figured I wanted to try it anyway. I then took clear caulking and sealed all the edges, around the toilet, and any gaps where the tiles didn't completely meet (it didn't say to do this, but I figure it could only help seal out water). I did the floor for under $25.00- if it only lasts temporarily, again, not a huge loss- definitely worth the experiment. I didn't however, take off the baseboards. I figured with my clear sealant I wouldn't worry about that hassle, but I'm sure it would look more professional if I had.

My proudest moment through all of this was that I drained and took off the toilet all by myself. Wahoo! I didn't want to wait around for Frank, I just wanted it done.
Sidenote: besides the painted cupboards (which I did several months ago) I had it all done in basically one night (first coat of paint) and one day (finished the walls, hardware, flooring, and putting everything back together). I'm sure it would have gone faster had I not had kids that needed my attention.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Whoa, seriously, you did the toilet by yourself? You are amazing! Now I'm even more impressed. I would have no idea how to do that.

The Mom said...

That is awesome. Good for you for doing that.

Angie said...

You impressed me as well with the knowledge that you took the toilet off by yourself. I wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks for sharing your secrets.

d.r. gib said...

that is awesome, but where is a picture?!?

d.r. gib said...

disregard my comment, except the awesome part. I scrolled down to find the pics.

julie said...

Thanks Heidi. You are amazing. Do you want to fly to Georgia now to help me? Plese! J?K although you are welcome to come and visit anytime:)