Monday, February 8, 2010

Honest Scrap

I have been awarded and given the challenge- name 10 Honest Things about you and then pass it on to 4 people.
Here goes:

1) I am suffering through an identity crisis. I am trying to figure out who I am and what I do. We are told we have many talents, but apparently I don't know what they are. So I am in the course of wanting to try lots of things and I get the ideas of what to try from my friends. Don't think I'm trying to just copy, jump on the trends, or am trying to be like someone else. I'm honestly just trying to find new interests and talents to define myself.

2) I gossip to Frank. I'm really trying to not gossip to other people. Sometimes it creeps out with others and I need to get better, but I honestly tell Frank everything. If I can't express feelings about situations and people that directly effect me then I am at a loss. I bottle it up. I just need to let it out. I could write it in a journal, but that's like I'm gossiping to my posterity because eventually someone will read it.

3) We were in a group setting once and I mentioned to one of our friends, who was swearing a lot, that maybe we shouldn't do that. It got very quiet and awkward. It was tense from then on with those friends. So much for standing up for what is right.

4) I don't spend enough time or money shopping for myself. Which is probably why my clothes are drab and outdated. On that note, I don't buy any item of clothing that is not on sale of some sort. Pathetic, I know. (well except for socks and underwear)

5) I love food. I eat when I'm bored. I love cooking. I love watching Food Network. I love creating new dishes.

6) I want to be a judge on Iron Chef America. I don't eat seafood so that might be a problem. But one week the ingredient was Berries. I absolutely died of how gorgeous and tantalizing those dishes looked. I got so anxious about the judging. I can't stop talking about how much I love that show. Since these contestants want to win so badly you are guaranteed you are being served the "Best of the Best" of what they can offer.

7) My house is never clean enough. If the family room, kitchen, and living room are clean then most likely the upstairs is suffering. And vice versa. It seems to never be perfect at the same time. Not to mention our basement is unfinished so that is another story.

8) I love Disneyland. I would go every month with the kids if we could. It's amazing and magical and luckily we do get to go in April and I can't wait .

9) I have a hard time with people who accept church callings and then do not do them. I also don't understand why people say "no" to callings. But maybe I will one day.

10) I don't spend enough time playing with my children. Even if I spend an entire day with them it will never be enough to their satisfaction or mine. But I can't do that every day either.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Holy cow, that was like reading a blog of my own thoughts! Well, all except the cooking shows (I don't have cable). Can I join you on the identity crisis train of trying new things? That's why I'm so grateful for Relief Society activities because I learn so much. And one more thing, I think your clothes are so cute so I have a hard time believing you don't spend money on them

Lindsay said...

I want to comment on every single one of those. (I love getting to know you better!) Don't worry though - I'll just make a few comments. :)
Way to go for trying new things! I'm excited to see what you do - and then copy you! :) I'm always up for new hobbies and interests.

Also, way to go for commenting about the swearing. My co-workers take the Lord's name in vain like CRAZY and curse and tell vulgar stories...and I just sit there and squirm. Sometimes I call Jason and try to zone out their voices...but at 3 a.m. there's nothing to do but feel uncomfortable. I want to be more like you!!!

Oh - and last comment. I think it's funny that you love to eat so much. You're so slim I would never have guessed! Me, it's super obvious. Oh well, I love, love, love food and eating. :)

Love ya! Can't wait for Disneyland with you guys!

Potter Family said...

Heidi, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You are a wonderful person. I think that most women in general struggle with the same things (okay so maybe its just me). You are a wonderful person with many talents. You are a great friend, mother, and wife. You are a doer and that says a lot.

The Mom said...

I think we all go through identity crises' at certain times in our lives. I have struggled over the last couple of years since I had to start working again. All my life I just wanted to be a mom, and now I had to be more.

Thanks for sharing!

Mindy said...

What a good read, Heidi! I feel the same as you on many levels. I think it's okay to gossip to your hubby. :) Scott hears more than he usually wants to, because I need an outlet too. And I'm the same way about buying clothes. I spend more on my kids clothes than on my own... so I live in jeans and down east T's. :) someday I'll learn to dress cute.

You're fun, Heidi! I miss living by you!

AMANDAM said...

I really think you and are kindred spirits on the Iron Chef thing. I am always telling Joe that I would love to be a judge but I also hate seafood. My dream would be a battle cheese.
I always feel like I am having an identity crisis too. Especially since I also feel like I lack talents. It is nice that you are trying to develop your talents though. I usually just bemoan my shortcomings.

Melissa said...

Heidi you're an amazing mom! I'm glad you can talk to your husband, is it gossiping when you hash things over with him? It's not malicious, but someone to hear you out? I think it's important to be able to communicate w/ our husbands, plus their take on things that we as women take so personally is a riot! Having male emotions would be so much simpler, don't you think?