Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Boredom

I don't remember the last time I thought or said I was bored. I think it must have been when I was a teenager and still living at home.

When I hear adults complain about being bored are they really? Or do they just not want to do things that need to be done?

In my life there are always:

kids to play with
chick flicks to watch
books to read
projects to do (for fun or home improvement)
closets and rooms to clean and organize
computer work to do
church callings to do
journals to write in
cooking and baking to be done
laundry to do
hobbies to accomplish
gardening and weeding to be done
talking to be done
friends to visit
geneology to catch-up

etc. etc.

I know most people have a list a mile long so tell me, how does one become bored? I would like to know.

10 comments:

The Mom said...

I think we say we are bored when what really are doing is putting off the stuff that needs to be done and we don't have anything "fun" that we really want to do. But no, I haven't been bored in long time either!

Angie said...

I agree completely with Camille. I don't think I've been bored in a long time either. I only wish I had more time in the day!

Jessica said...

It always surprises me when people say they are bored. I have a friend, a mother of 2 active boys, who says she is always bored. Really?

The only bored I can say is, "I am bored with this item in my house. Or, I am bored with this TV program."

Amy said...

I wish I could be bored!! I always have something that I'm always doing.

d.r. gib said...

my mom has a saying that has stuck with me, "only boring people get bored." That is what she would say to us if we ever said we are bored. Yes, there is always SOMETHING to be done, it is just a matter of enjoying what we are doing, I guess.

Tia said...

Yeah, I haven't been bored in years either. But sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything on the "list"!

Kelly said...

It's just an excuse. There's no such thing as real boredom when you're a grown up!

Melissa said...

I agree with everyone. I never get bored. That's why it is such a simple answer when my kids say they're bored. Oh! You don't have enough things to do? We can start by cleaning...and then go on to list off about 20 options. Sometimes they are miraculously cured and other times, they think cleaning out the garbage cans with the hose would be fun. Go figure.

Kelly and Megan said...

I will admit that there are times when I lack the motivation to do certain things. Maybe some people confuse their level of motivation with boredom? I don't know.

Jessica said...

No kidding! I have totally forgotten what it's like to feel bored. Always too many things to do, whether the "to do" list or the "for fun" list.