I have so many thoughts going through my head of things I want to blog about. I just need to write them all down, because I'm already forgetting what I wanted to say.
First of all, we went to Lagoon this past week. We only get to go this maybe once a year if we get free tickets from Frank's work. This year we only got two, but that's still better then none. We told Jackson if he was tall enough we would really like to see him go on some "big" rides. In the car he was totally convinced he was going to do them, then when he actually saw them he got kind of freaked out. We didn't want to be pushy, but we knew if he would just try it he would love it and be proud of himself- after all, he's been on the big ones at Disneyland. The day went on and he didn't want to try any of them. We didn't want to ruin his day by bugging him about it, however, Dad gave an "incentive" of a pocket knife if he would do three big ones: Wicked, Colossus, and Samurai. It was completely his choice and he wanted a pocket knife SO bad. He finally consented and did it. Was he glad he did, YES! I knew if he could get over the anxiety of sitting in the line and watching the ride, he would have a blast. I'm proud. I didn't go on Colossus until I was in 8th grade.
Summer is almost over. It's been so busy, wonderful, and fast. I had an incessant need to plan something every day. It wasn't anything necessarily "big" but it could have been library day, or a fun treat day, or water day. It also helped that we had neighborhood playgroup every Tuesday and we got the chance to babysit cousins and friends a lot as well. Now that the summer is winding down and I'm trying to get ready for the new school year my kids wake-up every morning and ask what fun thing we are doing. Not that this is bad, but I now feel like they are constantly needing to be entertained. Have I ruined them? This last week I've told them to go play with each other or go outside a lot, but within minutes they are coming in moping around and following me everywhere. I hope they don't think school is boring because there isn't something "fun" to do everyday. Jackson knows what school will be like, but I think Gavin will be a bit disappointed because it's definitely not preschool anymore.
I read the book, "The Shack" by William Young. I am a bit reluctant to recommend it because of its sensitive nature, but I loved it. It's about a man's relationship with God after his little daughter is kidnapped and assumed dead. I had to make sure there wasn't a lot of detail and gore concerning the kidnapping before I would read it. There isn't. And you have to consider the author's opinion about how God and the Godhead is perceived. I obviously don't agree with how he describes them and some would say it's a little blasphemy, but I took it as purely the author's right to believe what he wants about religion. I'm confident in what I believe so it didn't shake me up or anything like that. But what is awesome about this book was the relationship that develops from this main character and God. It really is how it should be. They talk about judging people, trusting, repentance, and the Atonement. It's so full of motivational thoughts that I definitely came away wanting to improve and better myself.
I have been to a couple of restaurants that I have never tried before. One of them was Zupas. Although this is a chain, I've heard only good things about it. Let me say, I didn't like it. I think I got the wrong thing. I just got a panini and it was a little hard to eat. I kept thinking the whole time, I could make a better one myself at home. Apparently, I need to go again, because everyone who loves it orders soup or salad. Hmmm, I guess I wasn't aware of their known specialties. I did taste their tomato-basil soup and their Wisconsin-cheddar, cauliflower soup and those were delicious.

5 comments:
Mmmm. Zupas. I love them. Jeremy never wants to go there, though. I just love their soups.
I haven't heard anything about The Shack. Maybe I'll check it out!
I'm sorry you didn't like Zupas. There's one right by Jason's work, and it's one of our favorites.
I always get the Nuts about Berries salad - though I think their soups are great too.
Let's go together sometime - Jas and I will tell you our faves. :)
I'm proud of Jackson for going on the big rides at Lagoon. Those are some serious BIG rides. I think you picked the biggest to make him earn that pocket knife! :) Glad you had a fun summer.
At Zupas you need to try the nuts and berries salad and the mushroom soup. So good. We'll have to go there sometime together.
Fruit, nuts, and lettuce? I never got that.
Post a Comment