Thursday, October 28, 2010

Perception

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent* :)

I was reading my sister-in-law's sister's blog (does that make sense) and she was saying that out of all her siblings she has been officially labeled the "uptight" one by her sister- it was her thing. She then made a comment about my SIL Holly* and how she is the "dramatic" one in the family. I asked Holly about it to see if she really thought that about herself and she was kind of shocked. She didn't think that about herself at all. These things were not said in rudeness nor were the girls defensive about their labels they were basically observations made by those they love.
Holly and I got talking about this and how it's funny that siblings (or I guess really good friends) will have you labeled because of memories they remember of you or how you handled certain situations. For example, I brought this up as a rhetorical question in front of my parent's and my sister of what my "thing" would be. Oh how quickly the words were spat out: stressful, uptight, and opinionated were just a few adjectives used to describe me. Shocking? I guess that depends on how well you know me. I don't see myself as these things at all, but apparently the rest of my family does. Am I mad about it? No. That is their perception of me and how I have apparently handled certain situations in the past. I have changed and I think the best person to ask of what kind of person I am now would be Frank or my children. My sister was first to admit that maybe she was the emotional one.
It makes me want to re-evaluate what I'm doing at all times and how I handle situations. Am I too quick to react to the kids? Too paranoid? Too relaxed? Do I yell too much? Am I too sarcastic? What will my children remember about me and what kind of parent will I be "labeled" as.
Just something I have been thinking about it.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

The only person you need to really ask that question of is the Lord. He is the only one that can give you a truly honest answer. I'm saddened by what your family said. (Not trying to start a war with any family members that may read this.) You may have been those things at times but I would hope they would find the good in you! My perception of you is that you are kind, giving, a great listener, you are the best baker I have known. You are knowledgeable, funny, and truly one of my best friends. In short you are amazing!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Thanks Kristen-you're right I guess Heavenly Father truly knows my intentions of the person I want to be, does that count if I try hard? I guess I should've mentioned that I wasn't offended by what they said, they weren't doing it in a hurtful manner, and I'm sure they have good things to say about me as well, but their first words that came were those that I mentioned and I was just shocked- and I almost laughed about it.

Angie said...

I think about this a lot too. I always wonder how people perceive me, but I honestly don't want to know. I often wonder if my perception of other people is wrong too. I'm sure it is. I need to stop being too quick to "label" people. Good post!

Jessica said...

Doug and I are both labeled as the golden children. The kid that has the perfect life. The kid that never did anything wrong. Perhaps even the suck up in Doug's case. But, anyone that knows us well would know that this is not true. We struggle constantly. We both suffer from depression. Life hasn't been easy for either of us we just choose to focus on the positives as much as we can and rely heavily on the Lord to carry us through. Yes, we were not rebellious kids but why would that mean our lives were paved with golden brick?

On a similar topic I think that our perception of ourselves is often skewed and sometimes asking those close to us can help us make necessary course corrections. I'm still struggling to know who I am. Sometimes I think I come across as timid when I'm told I come off as confident and snobby. I think I complain too much but obviously my family thinks I have a perfect life so maybe I don't complain enough. I don't know.

Anyway, I think you are great Heidi. A few words I would use to describe you is: capable, available, good mother, you champion those you love, hard working, creative, intelligent...

Tia said...

I think you're wonderful! And really smart, funny, caring, humble, & kind.

Kelly said...

I'm with Angie - I'm too scared to know what people think of me. I'm fine with myself, and Kristen's right - it only matters what the Lord thinks. For the record, I do not see you as stressed and uptight. I don't have anything negative to think/say about you. You're awesome. I think one of your best qualities is that you are so easy to talk to. And laugh with.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

You are an amazing lady! You are intelligent, incredible, resourceful and fun to be around!

Melissa said...

I read a quote in a book recently that I love, here it is:

"What other people think of me is none of my business."

I know I personally vary on being too sensitive, not sensitive enough, bossy, too laid back, etc. and I pray that if there are any labels for me in my family, they slapped that label on me on my best day.

Don't sweat it, you're incredible!

Courtney said...

This comment is very late, but I thought I would still make it. Anyway, in high school I had a teacher once say that other people's perception of you is exactly opposite of how you perceive yourself, and I think of that ALL THE TIME. It's not necessarily negative vs. positive though. Most people think I am super bubbly and oppressively optimistic, and I don't see myself that way at all. I am dramatic and uptight (as you know from my blog), and I like to think people notice I have depth and a wide range of emotions. Anyway, I always wonder-- if everyone else views me as happy and bubbly and optimistic, is that a more accurate interpretation? I wish I could see myself as a stranger sees me, and see how I am coming across, you know? Not necessarily like "oh no, what do people think of me?!" but rather, I would just love to see what impression I am giving to the world. Anyway, I am glad my post was so thought provoking! :)