This weekend was General Conference. I LOVE it! Not that I actually plan to get to listen to every word with a certain little three year old who doesn't know the meaning of a whisper, but I was gathering ideas all week on how to make it better for our family and especially the kids.
In the past I've printed off packets for the kids to color and little activities with mazes, etc. to do while listening. For some reason after the first session last year it got old and they lost interest.
I remember when I was young we had to take notes on two speakers from each session and then "report" them on Monday night for Family Home Evening. I've heard of people playing BINGO with certain words that are said and other similar games. Well since the boys have really been into drawing lately this is what I came up with this year- I bought a ream of white paper, yep 500 sheets. And at the beginning of the Saturday session I gave them each a freshly sharpened pencil (kept the sharpener handy) and 20 sheets. I planned on giving them each 20 sheets per session, but they didn't use all that much. The requirement was they needed to draw a picture of one speaker per session and draw pictures of what that speaker was talking about. After they filled their requirement they could draw whatever they wanted or do another quiet activity (legos, puzzles, etc) while listening. It was amazing- they each did their first picture and continued to draw throughout the whole session- each "halftime" song we got up, stretched, took a drink and bathroom break, and got a snack. We also had a brand-new 750 piece puzzle that was out on the table for anyone that wanted to go over and do something else while listening.
I have to say this was the best General Conference for the boys and they already asked if I could buy a whole ream of paper for next time. (Ummm, YES!) We also stocked up on some favorite foods for Sunday when dad would be joining us- this included: nachos, fruit snacks, dried mangos, and Country Time pink lemonade in the can. I decided I will do whatever I can to make this a special weekend that they look forward too.
However, Camberlyn was not so great. Yes, she is only three, but I swear that girl can not sit still for more than 2 seconds. We brought down her dolls and we did their hair (lasted about 2 minutes), I painted her nails (she was still just until I was done), I looked at books with her (she kept wanting "new"ones), finally I gave up and we put her upstairs to watch Dora on our TV for about 30 minutes while the rest of us got a little peace and quiet. I know the time will come that she too, will be able to draw or something like that, but overall, this weekend was much better than expected.
I know all of you have wonderful activities you do or favorite foods you eat every conference and I want to know what they are for my future conference planning.
Sunday, April 3, 2011
General Conference Weekend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey I saw that you were talking about Bingo and that kept us entertained when we were younger and I follow this ladies blog (ldshandouts.blogspot.com) and she did bingo handouts that all you have to do is print. She goes and prints them at walmart or walgreens on picture paper so they are nicer to look at but heres the link for next time. (she has a fall one too)
http://ldshandouts.blogspot.com/2011/03/spring-conference-bingo.html
I failed this conference weekend. Marty planned a team bike ride and then a visit to grandma's house. We were so busy that it was hard to hear much. I did catch the last session while Eliza napped. I love your ideas!
I usually save the prior Conference Ensign and tear out the page with all the apostles/church leaders and have Brooklyn cut out the picture of the person who is talking and glue it on another paper. Not sure how I'll do that with more than one child.
play dough saved us during the Sunday Session, I let them play during part of Saturday, it was a lot for their 4 and almost 3 year old selves... but Carter loved the parts where he could see President Monson. Way to go on the snacks and stuff, I think making a party out of it is a great idea, so much better than just expecting them to be good and "listen" at a young age. Good ideas, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment