Monday, September 26, 2011

Bringing you up to speed

Blogging has been something I've been doing since 2007. I've made one book so far. It's definitely time to print another one. But as of late my life has been extra busy (as is everyone's) for some reason I have neglected my family history on our blog. I really need to recommit myself.

Just a few things that we've been up to:

Over Labor Day we had our Hickok family reunion BBQ.  I'm really not that close with my dad's side of the family.  We really only see each other on Christmas and every other Labor Day.  I hate to say it, but one thing that has kept me in touch with some of my cousins is FB.  See!  It has some good qualities too.
At this BBQ we learned to play ultimate frisbee- which is super fun!

The boys with their uncle Tyler (my younger brother) at the BBQ.

We went to our ward campout at Aspen Meadows 2 weekends ago. Now there were many people who complained about how come we did it so late in the year- yes it was cold and wet and rainy- but I googled the average temperature in Utah in September. Guess what? It is just about the same as it is in June. With an average high around 79 and a low around 50. We just happen to have a storm come through that weekend, no way to know that when we scheduled it two months prior.
We had a great dinner and a great little fireside. After we put our kids to bed Frank and I were walking around the area looking at who's tents were where and I tripped over a fire pit (there wasn't a fire in it) but the metal sheeting that made the pit really bruised and cut up my body. I got the wind knocked out of me and couldn't walk for a minute. I was so embarrassed and humiliated. Soon after we went to bed and then the rain started. It poured and poured and after a whole night of no sleep and our tent finally started letting drips in at 6:30'ish in the morning, I had it. Within 20 min. we had all our muddy things shoved in the van and we were out of there. We stopped in park city at a McDonalds and got breakfast and were home arond 8:15. I went back to bed and woke-up at 12:00 noon. It was nice to finally get some sleep although it was not enough.

The next day was Sunday and I got released from the 2nd Counselor in the Relief Society.  I worked with a great group of women and I only had 8 months to get to know them, we had some fun times and I loved it.  However, the Lord had other plans.  I got called to be the YW President.  When I got the call I was very nervous.  Fortunately, from the time they called me to the time I actually got sustained it had been a few weeks and it gave me time to adjust to the idea.  I got wonderful counselors.  It was completely meant to be- as soon as I got called I prayed and prayed for inspiration.  I submitted who I wanted and as soon as I put in the names I completely forgot about everything YW related.  I wasn't nervous, I wasn't anxious, and I was finally feeling peace so I knew everything would work out.  Then after my first Sunday I wasn't so sure anymore.  This adjustment for the girls and us (as the new presidency) will take some time but I have faith it will eventually be great.  I am excited for this change.  I have had non-stop ideas swarming around in my brain for activities for weeks now and I can't wait to do them.

The boys had their primary program this last Sunday.  Again, because of fabulous leaders the messages were clear and the songs were perfect.  We really do have a great group of kids and all 70'ish of them were very well behaved and sang great.  But our proudest moment was when Gavin said his part in the microphone all by himself without showing an ounce of hesitation.  It brought tears to Frank's eyes and I bawled.  Gavin has never done anything in primary before without getting embarrassed and giving up.  He will say he will do the scripture or prayer and then get in front of everyone and choke.  Not this time. He went up there proudly and stood and just said it.  Wow, he has come a long way.  But I can't forget sweet Jackson either.  He is getting so old and so mature and I only have two more programs left with him.  He sits up there looking as handsome as ever and I know he doesn't want to be there, but he never showed that attitude he just did when he knew was right.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations on your new calling! You will love working the YW. And they are so lucky to have you as their leader!

Unknown said...

Have fun in YW! The girls are lucky to have you & will love you! Aimi Percival told me about your calling & she's excited for you too!

Liz said...

Congrats on the new calling, you'll be a great YW president! Those girls are going to love you. It sounds like you've had a nice September, staying busy.

Jessica said...

So much fun packed into one post. You were a trooper to stick out camping. I wasn't as brave. We are sad to see you leaving Relief Society. However, I kind of wish I had a daughter in YW. You are going to do wonderful things. The girls will love you.

Angie said...

So glad you have many YW activities swimming in your head. That must come with the calling, but that part scares me the most! Congrats again on your calling. You are going to be wonderful and before long the YW will be sad when you get released.

Kelly and Megan said...

I know I fun working with you! You will have a great time in your new adventure!

Kelly said...

Wow, those girls are so lucky to have you! You will be an awesome leader and an amazing example. I completely know how if feels to be in those shoes. My old ward called me to be YW Pres. when I was just 25 years old. I thought for sure you had to have kids at least to be a president of something. I felt very young, very inadequate, and extremely scared. I have so much respect for anyone that is a President now because the responsibility you feel for those you are over can be unreal. I relied completely on the Lord for help like never before and it made me so much stronger. It was my most favorite calling though being surrounded by those girls. Now they are in college, married, and having kids of their own. It is so wonderful to see them succeed. Good luck you are there for a reason. :)