How many times have we heard that cliche saying? Take time to stop and smell the roses. Well... let me tell you about a tiny incident that made me rediscover this saying in a whole new light.
Camberlyn and I were walking out of the bank the other day and on the "coffee" table (I know it's not called that, but that is the closest thing I know what to call this random large decorative table in the lobby) were sitting a bunch of flowers. You know the fake ones that are bunched together as a centerpiece. Camberlyn immediately goes up to them and exclaims with hands over her mouth, "Oh, they are beautiful" she then stuffs her nose right in the middle and inhales, "they smell so good." Yep, those fake flowers smell so good to her.
She does this all the time. If someone is wearing pink she screams, "she looks so pretty."
If anyone gets a haircut (boy or girl) she will take note and comment, "I love your hair."
If the boys spike their hair in the morning, she will take note and comment.
On a windy, dark day she'll look out the window and ask if a storm is coming, if I say yes, she'll say she loves the storm.
Any little stuffed animal, creature, scrounge bird in the wal-mart parking lot she will squeal about it and love and adore.
If I make macaroni and cheese for lunch she will hug me and tell me "thank you" over and over.
I know most little ones, particularly girls, are this way. I'm not trying to paint my daughter as this perfect human being, trust me, she throws her fits and is stubborn as anything and doesn't stop talking. But she constantly reminds me to look for the beauty and the good in everyone and every situation. She is so animated about how she feels.
When do we lose that? When do we lose the observation skills to notice every thing around us? It really makes me sad that I don't take note of all the good around me. We have become a critical society and culture. I am a very busy person and I put on blinders. I focus on what needs to be done each day and I don't really pay attention to anything else. I need to learn to relax and actually look up and smell the flowers (even if they are fake and smell like dust).
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Stop and Smell the Roses...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I agree. Rachel does the same thing. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to get frustrated by it. Her awe and excitement helps me slow down.
So cute! My girls are girls, but aren't that excited about things. Maybe I've ruined them already. :)
She is such a sweet girl, with such a sweet temperament. She is always so kind and happy!
I love her zest for life!
That is so true Heidi! My girls were like that when they were young. Now as they get older, they too have stopped to notice the "fake flowers" in the world. I'm the same. I too need to stop and to smell the roses. I get so busy with what I think that needs to be done and not what Heavenly Father thinks that needs to be done. I need to be more friendly with others, think of others and call them just to check on them or to say hi.
Thanks Camberlyn for the reminder! She's such a cutie.
Post a Comment