Friday, November 2, 2012

We're Going Vegan... (ha, not exactly)

I have always tried to eat healthy and have my family eat healthy- no we are not freaks about it. We sure love our junk food and ice cream. But we've tried to cut back dramatically within the last few years.

One year ago Frank and I joined Weight Watchers and it is an awesome program. We stopped paying for it about 5 months ago because we basically knew our points on the basic food items and I have a pretty good idea what each meal I make is. Frank is kind of in the maintaining mode currently.
Obviously we have our good and bad days but we know enough to get back on the right track.

Some of you know our health issues around these parts.
Had high Cholesterol- We got the Cholesterol issues back to normal by taking out red meat, most eggs, and with the help of Cholesterol medication (because a % was due to genetics).
Two people suffer from acid reflux- taken care of by medication.
Then there are the kidney problems/gout- both linked together- this is what we are working on.

Beware: now here is my rant.
Weight Watchers (and most weight loss plans and doctors) encourage lean proteins and low carbs (not NO carbs just fewer).  This proved to work for us, plus an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies.
Pretty logical.  However, with fewer (healthier) carbs and lots of fresh produce around the food bills began to increase. We justified the expense of course because we were healthier and our children were healthier- it was worth it.
Well to help the kidney issues doctor told us we really need to get rid of ALL animal protein. Hmmm... so now we are supposed to eat completely vegan? Do you know how expensive organic, tofu, stuff is?
Plus, as I was looking at many recipes they are carb loaded with quinoa, pastas, lots of beans, tofu, dairy free cheeses (ugh! and SO expensive), and lots of different dairy free milks (Soy and Almond).

If I added up the points for this stuff in my WW calculator it would be a lot. Do we add on the carbs and weight to help the kidney issue?

Here is my conclusion.
We will cut-back on our chicken and pork, but not completely take it out.  We will cut back on our dairy but not completely take it out.  I just can't do it! I made a goal to incorporate several vegan meals a week, but that is about all I think I can do.

To all those people who are completely dedicated to a Vegan lifestyle GOOD JOB!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am almost completely dairy free and as much as it does suck there are some really good things about it. It has made me lose weight. Now I know that you are not eating a lot of sweets but there is a fabulous cookbook called The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book: Great Dairy-, Egg-, and Nut-Free Treats for the Whole Family. It is fabulous! Although some of the things are hard to find.

Tia said...

Oy. What a pain. Why can't it just be easier to eat?