I've been trying to find fun and cheap ways to get my kids involved in service projects without really coming out and telling them they are doing service.
For some reason (this was the same when I was in young and it's the same now with the youth) when we mention service or helping someone there is a bit of a moaning and complaining. Eventually they come around, do it, find it rewarding etc. but kids in general aren't too excited about SERVICE.
Although I think it's very important to teach them how to help others and eventually learn to love it.
When our school mentioned the Christmas project, sponsored by Harmon's grocery store, to write cards and letters for the Soldiers that are deployed I knew this was something my kids would love to do.
Let's just say, when things like this come up I'm grateful I haven't gone completely digital for scrapbooking, it's nice to know I have a stash of stuff to make cards out of.


They all stamped the insides themselves and wrote notes. They all said similar things, but Camberlyn wrote, "Thanks for your service, From Camberlyn"
They loved doing this. It went by fast and I think we made about 25 cards all together. I hope Harmon's does this every year, because it was great to explain how maybe these cards might cheer someone up.
Monday, January 21, 2013
Service...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment