There are a few inquiring minds who want to know my scary running story so here it is. It was the last week in July and Frank was at Scout Camp. I was really diligent about running then. I had to get my three times a week in no matter what. So while Frank was gone I had no choice but to run around the playground field across the street from my house, which is estimated to be around a 1/4 of a mile. By running around the park I could always keep an eye on the locked house with the kids asleep inside.
Well this particular time I was running counter-clockwise and as I rounded the southwest corner I was back on Impressions Dr. and I noticed this guy on a motorcycle zoom by, hit the brakes, turn around, come back, and sit in front of my house, but on the side of the street where the park is. And he was just watching/waiting for me. (I need to mention it was almost dark) Anyway, I was maybe 15 yards from him and I got so sick, you know that yucky gut feeling that something is wrong. Where he was parked it made it impossible to quickly run to my house without passing him, plus I didn't want him to even see where I lived. So I quickly cut through the grass field and sprinting as fast as I could, I headed west around the block. The worst part for me was taking my eyes off of the house and my kids inside. But in my mind I didn't have a choice with the guy just sitting there. I knew if I could make it around the block I could stop at the Larsen's house (a family in our ward) and get Bryant to help me out and perhaps walk me home.
Luckily, he was home and was kind enough to walk me home. I'm sure when I knocked on their door it was kind of a shock. I couldn't catch my breath because I was running so fast and I was also almost in tears for my kids sake. Thankfully, by the time we got to our house the guy was gone. It all might have been coincidence, but it scared the HECK out of me.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
My Scary Story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I am so glad you listened to the spirit. I would have been so scared too. I run at night sometimes but I always leave my route on my computer so Steve can see it and I have my cell phone, ALWAYS. Thanks for sharing, I will be more alert now. I have run when Steve was out of town, once but I was gratful for Visiting Teachers, one of mine volunteered to babysit while I ran and it was such a great comfort. Use them if you got them! That's what we are here for.
That is so scary!! It's the weirdo's like that who give me nightmares!! I'm glad everything turned out all right. Briant is such a nice person. Good thinking on going to them.
I HATE seeing creepy, lurking people when I'm running. You have no defense. I always start wondering what I would do if they chased me...how fast am I really?? I'm glad everything was okay. Remember....if you're still into running next year, we can go together! Safety in numbers. :)
Yikes! Glad he decided to leave. People like that need to find better things to do.
Wow, that is so scary. Something bad could have happened if you didn't listen to that prompting. I am so glad that you did. Good thinking in having your neighbor walk back with you. How did the 5k go this weekend?
BTW, I tagged you, the details are on my blog.
I would have been so scared too! Glad you followed your instincts, and like you said maybe he was just needing directions or something, but you never know. Nice guys no better then to wait at dusk for a woman running by herself. i use being scared of the dark as an excuse not to go running!!
Post a Comment