Thursday, September 25, 2008

So I ask, Is it really being lazy??

There is nothing I like more than a clean, organized living environment. You may not think I believe in such things if you saw my house. I feel like I spend every waking moment cleaning up clutter, dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing floors and bathrooms, laundry, and dishes. Now perhaps every once in a while you may see my house "clean" in a sense it doesn't have toys and blankets every where, but there are little clutter piles on book shelves and on the computer desk and in cupboards that I know about and it bugs me. But here is my problem, I am exhausted from keeping up with the simple things listed above that have to be done daily or atleast weekly that when I am done for the day with those other things I want to play with the kids, perhaps run errands, scrapbook, or just sit around watching TV or read. Is that bad??
My time seems so limited that I don't get around to: cleaning out the garage, organizing unfinished basement, doing the extra laundry (you know the sheets and bedding), touch up painting, washing walls, and especially yard work (which I actually enjoy doing). Now some of you might think, have Frank help you on his day-off. Come on. If you worked 40+ hrs. a week away from the house you don't want to do projects on your day-off. Although, we have to sometimes. He does do his share when he's home, plus he takes care of everything on the nights I work and he does all the home repairs that I don't even want to do.
Does anyone else have this problem?? Or am I the only one who just is "lazy" and not on top of all the projects that need to be done? I just have been thinking about this for the past week as I slave away cleaning and it never seems to get all done. Maybe I just need to get used to the fact there will always be something I can work on, it's just a matter of priorities. Obviously, blogging is a priority, because here I am writing when sheets need to be folded and who knows what else I could be doing right now. Sorry for venting, but thanks for reading my tangent.

9 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

On a side note: My kids do help a lot (clean rooms, set table, help with dishes and clean up their messes). There just seems to be more they can't do (laundry, vacuuming, mopping, etc) right now than they can.

Melissa said...

Make a list of things you DO do in one given day, instead of the to-do list. It opens your eyes and boosts your self esteem. I think you summed it up great, you'd rather play with your kids... I think you're doing just great! This is, of course, coming from the mom who went postal last night, because all I did was pick up after my boys...and I had to lay down the law once again about picking up after yourself. After that, I cried out of frustration, which freaked them out. The shock value was worth the puffy face!

Kelly said...

Umm....my house will never, ever be clean. I long for a totally clean house, but I struggle with getting there. I do other things... I don't think it's being lazy, just choosing your priorities. Right now my priorities are Meredith and sleep...yesterday, not a single thing got done around the house, except dinner made. I think there just has to be balance. I'm a little out of balance on the dirty side, but am working toward being cleaner! I would hate for anyone to think I'm lazy, though. I spend my time doing worthwhile things, they just aren't always domestic!

d.r. gib said...

I do not think are lazy at all. It is important to be organized, but I do not think that means there can never be a dust bunny or dirty wall that is left for another day.

I feel the same way about picking up, you feel like you clean up the same things over and over everyday. We need to learn to relax and enjoy our time with the kids before they don't want to spend time with us!!

Angie said...

I think you are completely normal. I feel the same way. I never seem to get to those "extra projects". Oh well though. I'm happy when I can get my house looking decent...I just wish it would last longer than a few hours! If only things would just clean themselves.

Liz said...

Oh Heidi, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I often think all day about all the stuff I don't get done, yet it seems I am absolutely exhausted each day from something. Becoming a mother has totally opened my eyes to housework. It is soooo hard! I constantly feel guilty about the deep cleaning that didn't get done or the disorganized messes all over the place. Just today the sun caught my stove just right and the oven is covered in splatters and little baby handprints - oh well, another day right?

Anyways, I am trying really hard not to always apologize to people when they drop in about the status of my house, it's just life.

Lindsay said...

You are too hard on yourself, my friend. :)
Do you remember the talks in Womens Conference about Mary and Martha a few years ago? Mary sat at the Savior's feet while Martha scurried around trying to get her "to do" list done. Jesus said Martha was 'troubled about many things' but Mary had chosen the better part. :) (paraphrasing) I think it's important to learn how to let go of 'to do' lists and to then not feel guilty for focusing on the most important things in life. ...I'm working on this myself! :) Why is it we women are so hard on ourselves and feel like we're never good enough or doing enough??? It's absolutely INSANE!! :)

Kristen said...

You're not lazy you're NORMAL! There is always going to be something that's undone and that's ok. I'm a better mom when I do take time to myself to read or craft or watch tv. (Not that I'm an expert though because I still feel guilty doing extra stuff when the day to day stuff is undone.) I have in the past done what Melissa suggested and make a I've Done list instead of a To Do List. It really helps.

julie said...

You are the least lazy person I know! Taking time to play with your kids, is the most important and making sure that they are fed and clothed, of course:) This is something I need to work on myself, but what would you rather your children remember about you, how clean the house was, or how much fun it was to play with their mom? You are a great mom, and homemaker, don't forget that!