Frank was inspired to take a random day-off from work today because I don't think I could have handled this situation alone.
Earlier today Frank was sitting on our computer chair and Gavin was standing on it behind him and he decided to get off by climbing off the side. As his body fell forward his leg stayed pinned against the armrest somehow and he was left dangling. Frank remembers hearing a pop and Gavin started screaming. Luckily, I did not see it because I don't think I could have got that visual out of my head. Anyway, Gavin stopped crying and we asked him to walk on it. Nope, he immediately collapsed and started wimpering. By the time we got to the doctor Gavin was more freaked out about x-rays then anything else. We saw the pediatrician, who luckily is the only fracture specialist in the office, who knew? Well, he was pretty sure it was a toddler fracture and sent us to the hospital for x-rays. The x-rays came out clean, and although by this time Gavin was crawling on the floor playing with toys and walking around, there is still a spot under his knee that is tender to the touch and makes him wince. Because the x-rays possibly looked fine, if the technician didn't mess up or if Gavin didn't move while the picture was being taken, the Doc wanted a second opinion from the Radiologist. So for the time being Gavin is in a semi-cast, hard on the bottom soft on top. It's almost impossible for him not to move it around. I thought this would tame him for the day- and it has a little, but it's more trouble to carry him up the stairs and to the bathroom and anywhere we have to go. We will find out tomorrow if it's really fractured or not. Until then, he gets a little more hugs and attention.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Look What Happened
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh my gosh, that's crazy! I'm glad Frank was there with you. Good luck, I'm so sorry!
Heidi! I am so sorry! Let me know if I can watch your other kids for you if you have to take him to the doctor. And I think you are selling yourself short. If you had been alone, you could have handled it! Hang in there!
Wow, I am glad that Frank was there. I agree, that you could have handled it, but it is always nice to have someone else there when something like that happens! I hope Gavin is okay!
I gasped and winced just reading about it, I am glad you were not right there when it happened. Feel better Gavin, and heidi call if you need any help!!
Sad! That description w/ the popping sound was horrible. It made MY leg hurt. I agree - if you'd been alone, you would have been the take charge person and done beautifully. When you're part of a team...one person has to be the strong one, the other has the luxury to freak out a little. Glad Frank was there, it's always comforting to have a second opinion whether to take to the dr. or wait and see!
Post a Comment