Sunday, December 7, 2008

Update

What do you do in the hospital while your 8 month old is hooked up to an IV? You blog. It's a good thing Frank thought to bring the laptop.
It's been a long day.
I took Camberlyn to the Instacare again this morning because she hadn't improved since Friday night. In fact, she got a lot worse. They gave her 120 cc's of IV fluid and sent us on our way to Primary Childrens Medical Center because she needed to be admitted and observed overnight with a maintenance of fluid while the virus ran its course. Just to paint a picture of how bad it was, I went through 17 diapers in less than 24 hours. Yuck!
Since getting all the fluids she has perked up a little (no longer floppy like a ragdoll), but is still drowsy and a little pale.
I am so grateful for technology and modern medicine. I know the Instacare really tries the best they can but they are definitely not equipped with all the "cool" and helpful tools that PCMC has. They have this little lazer that can find veins to put in the IV's so they don't have to poke around and prod through the skin to find the best vein (which happened at the Instacare- they ended poking her twice to find veins, it was horrible, then they couldn't draw blood through the IV so they had to poke her heel).
FYI- important signs of dehydration that I apparently didn't realize:
*Sunken in soft spot
*Sunken in eyes (I just thought she was real tired with bags under her eyes)
*Pale skin
*Skin becomes a little loose around the stomach
*No tears (I didn't realize she wasn't producing tears until she cried for 20 min. with nothing coming out)
*And of course the obvious- lethargic, tired, no wet diapers, and dry mouth

These are probably things many of you already knew and have dealt with, but it is all new to me. Isn't it funny how after two kids I am still experiencing things for the first time.
Hopefully no one else gets this awful virus.

9 comments:

Cole Family said...

Hang in there Heidi! We are thinking about you guys. We hope you are all better soon. Poor little girl. It's horibble when your child is sick. We hope she gets better soon.

Mindy said...

So sorry to hear about this! That is so scary!I hope she gets better soon.

Kristen said...

Oh Heidi, what a scary experience. Way to go Frank for remembering the laptop. I would never have thought to bring that. It's such a blessing to have a children's hospital so close. We're thinking of you and your family. Is there anything we can do? Please ask.

d.r. gib said...

I am so sorry guys!! It is so hard to sit there feeling helpless when they don't feel well. Good luck, and if you need anything please let me know.Feel better Camberlyn!

Angie said...

Camberlyn must have been very dehydrated. Brooklyn had to get an IV at Primary Children's, but they didn't keep her overnight. I hope she's doing better today.

Melissa said...

Oh, poor little thing! There's nothing more devastating than when you have a really sick baby. I talked to Frank, but let me know if I can help in any way - like take your boys so you can take a nap. I'm sure you're not getting great sleep in a chair.

The Mom said...

Hugs to both of you! How awful! I am glad she is getting better. Let me know if you need anything

Heidi said...

Oh boy, gotta love sick kids. Your Last month or so sounds a little like ours. Thanksgiving, birthday parties, and sick kids. Brayden was sick the night and day before Landon was, but I will take 2 sick kids over a sick baby. That is so not fun and scary too. I hope she is feeling better and that the rest of you stay healthy. Have a great Christmas!!

julie said...

I am so sorry to hear that Camberlyn had to go to the hospital. That is so hard emotionally and physically when you have a baby in the hospital. Katelyn had to be hospitalized for the same thing when she was a baby. I know what you mean by Camberlyn acting like a rag doll. I hope that she is perking up and that she is able to hold food down. We will pray for her!