Monday, January 5, 2009

Decorating Advice

I try my hand at decorating my house and it is by no means professional. However, I think my house is descent enough as in it's not painfully ugly. With that said I have a situation. Most of us have the run-of-the-mill oak colored kitchen cabinets. You know the ones they put in the basic models and I think most of us have white appliances or are in the transition of going stainless steel/black (which seems to be the upgrade). If you have not seen my kitchen I will tell you I do have those cabinets along with simple white appliances, however, I do have a few sparse traces of black- 2 rod iron hanging decorations, black iron stools, black rod iron in the base of my table, and a black microwave. My question to all the decorating guru's: can I buy a tall, black portable pantry to put in my kitchen or do I have to go white or light wood? I really want an answer and opinion. If you have intermixed these colors send me pictures please.

9 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I personally like the look of the black one, but I don't know if it will look ridiculous in my kitchen. Help?

Jason said...

What if you paint the top half black and the bottom half white. Then you can enjoy both!

Jessica said...

That's a hard one. Maybe post a pic of your kitchen and it might be easier to say.

Angie said...

I think the black would look fine, but I'm no decorating guru. Do you plan to continue to upgrade your kitchen as the funds allow?
My kitchen doesn't match perfectly, but it doesn't bother me and no one has told me it's ugly or anything. :)

d.r. gib said...

If you are planning on upgrading to stainless or black, go black. It is hard to match natural wood finish to the cabinets, so I would steer clear of the "wood" color. White will also show finger prints more. So I guess that makes my vote for black. Isn't the style eclectic anyway, not matchy, matchy?

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I was under the impression that the current style is kind of mismatched. I am leaning towards black, because yes, someday I would like to update all my appliances. I will have to let you know how it turns out and I am still accepting opinions.

Mindy said...

BLACK!! When we were looking at new houses we saw SO many new gourmet kitchens that are mixed cabinetry. like a white painted island and dark cabinets, or a black painted island and medium alder cabinets.I like it a lot. I'll send you some pictures, but personally, I love the look. I think the black cabinet is really cute and would look great. Whatever you decide make sure to post the results, I want to see it! :)

Melissa said...

Definitely black! I agree with not being 'matchy matchy' think it looks like you're trying too hard. No matter what, trust yourself! You know what you like and what makes you happy when you walk into that room...who cares what anyone else thinks? haha - I am trying to do that in my own home. I'm going to slowly start changing things and being brave enough to do what I want and not what everybody else is doing.

julie said...

I agree with the black too. I think it would look fine, and if you are going to be changing things in the future, why not get something that you like now and would look great when you can upgrade things. Please post pics when you get it so we can all see how it looks in your kitchen.