I love taking naps as I know many of my friends are fond of as well.
I have always needed sleep. From the moment my mom brought me home from the hospital when I was three days old I slept at least 8 hours in a row and the Doctor told my mom she had to wake me up to feed me. If I don't get 7-8 hours a night I'm a walking zombie. I know many people function on much less and I'm sure I could if I got used to it, but I don't need to get used to it, yet. I'm not a morning person.
I get so grouchy when I get woken up in the middle of the night by kids or by a husband who has disturbing night terrors. Ask my family, they can testify to the fact I'm not a nice person when I am woken up earlier than I have to be.
Every day after lunch, Camberlyn goes down for a nap, my eyes start to get droopy and I think, "Oh I can time this perfectly, put on a movie for Gavin, and I can lay down to take a quick nap." But no, something else is always looming in the back of my mind of what I need to do instead. However, on the rare occasion that I do get to lay down while a movie is going, suddenly, kids that were getting along and just watching the movie, suddenly start fighting; the phone suddenly has to ring; kids needs drinks or a snack; baby decides she isn't going to sleep very long; there are so many things that come up I can't believe it. It's like clockwork, my head hits the pillow and BAM- I'm up again. It's not fair, I just tease my body, thinking I get to sleep and finally get calm down and then I have to immediately get up. I always get headaches when this happens. Arggggh!
All I can say is I love sleep. I love painkillers from the hospital because I love the feeling of just wanting to sleep all day long. However, if I was given the opportunity to sleep all day with out medication and nothing to do I think I would go stir-crazy.
Is it OK to nap? Absolutely, especially when our tired bodies are chasing around kids all day, or working, or getting mentally exhausted some how. If I don't get enough sleep I start to get sick. I know it's ridiculous that I thrive on sleep, but I do. So if you hear of me taking a nap, please don't judge, I'm much happier when I do.
Monday, April 27, 2009
To Sleep or Not To Sleep...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm just like you on this, Heidi. Marty can live on less than 8 hours of sleep, but I get mean too. I miss having one child and the chance to nap because now when I try, Brooklyn slaps my face and tells me to wake up! Sleep is great!
I love naps, but I rarely take them anymore for the reasons you listed. It's just not worth the anguish of being immediately awoken by some thing or another!
I will go on record and say that Heidi is downright demonic when you wake her in the middle of the night. She scares me more than Pennywise the dancing clown.
Frank
I'm pretty mean myself when my sleep is disturbed. I have to get at least 8 hours too. I try to get more, but most nights I just don't go to bed early enough. On the rare occasion that I do get a cat-nap in, I usually have trouble going to sleep that night. Boo. But I LOVE naps and sleep. I'm looking forward to 9:00 church again so I can have my Sunday afternoon naps! They're the greatest.
I think naps are great for people of all ages. I am with you, I feel worse if get startled and woken up. Your body probably needs it more then mine with all the exercise.
Oh Heidi, if it isn't a baby waking you up, it's Frank, beating up an imaginary Asian person in the room who's trying to steal the furniture. You are entitled to a few midday zz's! :)
Hey girl, Just wanted to comment that I SOOOOO hear ya on this one! In fact.... I could have written it!?! =0)
Post a Comment