Does anyone else try to use up the last of the food before a long trip? I mean, I don't want milk going rotten, or veggies, or fruit, so I try to use up as much as I can without going to the store. There is no point buying groceries when we won't be home to eat them, so with that said let's skip ahead to dinner tonight.
I looked around the freezer and fridge and there wasn't much to choose from. I found chicken, swiss cheese, and ham. Voila- Chicken Cor Don Bleu! Brilliant. I sat there pounding the chicken flat, stuffing if with the cheese and ham, toothpicking it shut and then, uh-oh, what about the crust. I usually dredge them in bread crumbs, but we were out- and I needed to save my bread for sandwiches for the kids on the plane the next day. Hmmmm, I looked around to see what I could use. (The thought never occured to me to just omit the crispy outside) Yes, look what I found, a box of bran flakes. Now, don't laugh, here out my reasoning. We use crushed up corn flakes and butter on top of cheesy potatoes all the time, so why not the bran flakes. Yeah, it sounded good at the time.
After it was all baked and sitting on my plate I took a bite and got the chills. You know the puke chills. Anyone who gets sick when they're pregnant knows what I mean. I swallowed it down- then looked around the table. Jackson was poking the strange, little, brown crunchies with his toothpick while making the "gross" face. Gavin, trying to be the "golden child" kept saying, "MMMM this is good" while immediately taking sips of drink to wash it down. Frank was being a good husband and just kept chewing while looking at me with a smile. He was being a good example to the kids, but he kept laughing and joking that all we had to do was pour milk over the chicken and we would have a bowl of raisin bran. Yeah, I must admit, it did taste a little like a bowl of cereal. However, the only one that ate it with vigor was Camberlyn who will eat anything. She could not get enough of the tasty treat that I wanted to call an entree but resembled more of our dessert.
Now, if I didn't even want to finish it how could I make my kids? I had them eat their broccoli, then whisked away their plates, and replaced it with the leftover ham and cheese that I still had. They downed that as if it was ice cream.
What a miserable failure.

2 comments:
How funny! I'll make sure I never use Bran flakes next time I'm making chicken. ;)
At least you were willing to give it the old college try. I am so anti substitution when it comes to cooking. It drives my husband crazy! Good for you for experimenting!
Post a Comment