Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In No Particular Order


First of all, Frank and I went on the pretrek leadership training this last weekend. It was a little crazy. We actually did a little "mock" trek and pulled the handcart about 5 miles. No where near the 22-25 we will actually be pulling but it was a good heads-up to know what to be prepared for. Even in the one night we were doing this the wind was blowing and freezing my ears and hands, the rain came down and poured while we were trying to sleep, my allergies were insane, and then of course we were all tired because we didn't sleep. I am so thankful I did not have to come with the pioneers. It's hard. However, I think this could be a life changing experience for some of the youth and I'm so grateful I get to go and be part of this. Who knows if I'll ever get another chance.

Next, Camberlyn has learned how to take her shirt off. Last night while I was working apparently she kept taking off her PJ top and throwing it on the ground. Frank would have to come in, put it back on her, tell her goodnight again, and walk out the door. Therefore, making her mad that he came in and didn't take her out, so she would start over by taking off her shirt and throwing it out of her crib. She ended up sleeping with it off all night and it got a little chilly. We haven't put her in one-piece PJ's for a while because it's been so warm, but if that's the way she'll keep them on maybe we have to switch back. Ah, kids!

Food, Food, Food. I wish so desperately my kids would like what I like. It's not fair. I want to make meals that I really enjoy to eat. For example, I made my favorite last week: cheese enchiladas (you know with the red sauce). Well, that didn't go over well. Even if I put sour cream on the kids to make the "spicy" taste go away they still gagged and complained. Frank didn't eat dinner that night because he had a huge lunch and wasn't hungry; however, Camberlyn loved them. Now to give my kids credit they do almost eat whatever I put in front of them, but most often it's with complaining and perhaps gagging. I can't make pizza, breakfast, spaghetti, beef and noddles, tacos or hotdogs and hamburgers every night. I honestly don't like half those things. This is my problem, I try to make healthy, good tasting, easy meals that the whole family likes and it's just not happening. Any suggestions would be great.

Finally, the rain. I love the rain. I am so thankful for the rain. I love things being green. So because I'm so grateful for the rain I don't want to complain. Just know, we haven't been able to mow because it's wet. Please ignore our long, long lawn and the little Quaking Aspen trees that are growing in our grass. And know it will be cut one of these days. Side note: call me a wimp for not wanting to weed when it's wet and muddy outside so ignore those too.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm with you on the yard! I'm hoping it will dry up a bit since I need to start weeding AND we need to mow.

I'm right there with you on feeding kids as well. Anything new we try or that I love...Vince acts like he's having a seizure after taking a bite. I was done with mac & cheese when Josh was about 3. IF I find anything outside of the pasta group that the kids love, I'll pass it on. Same for you!

d.r. gib said...

I am impressed that you are going on a trek. I don't think I could do it!

Any time you want to make food, I will share it. Zach won't eat anything I like either, Makayla will try anything, but may not eat much of it.

Camberlyn cracks me! She takes off her shirt in hopes daddy will save her. What a smarty.

Liz said...

I'm glad you get to go on the trek too, that sounds like a really neat experience! Alex will eat anything I cook, but I struggle with my husband. I find myself feeling guilty that I made something I really like and he doesn't. Now with Alex helping me to eat some of it makes me feel a little better. Dallin is really good about trying it and eating some, but mostly eats the side dishes. I don't think it is possible to please everyone!

We haven't had a lot of rain the past two days so we have been working in the yard like crazy. I am actually hoping for the rain to come so I don't feel guilty all day about not weeding!

Lindsay said...

Heidi- I am reading an awesome book about feeding. It's called Child of Mine by Lynn Satter. She's a dietitian and psychologist.
I've implemented the tactics and it has changed our lives. Honestly.
I've only read a little bit, but I LOVE it.

Lindsay said...

Oh sorry. Not Lynn Satter. It's Ellyn Satter.
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Child-Mine-Feeding-Love-Sense/dp/0923521518

Mindy said...

I'll have to try that book your friend recomended... I struggle with Carter. There are days that I know he has consumed less than 400 calories. He just picks at little things and won't even open his mouth to try new things. I get anxiety when it's time to feed him sometimes, because I don't know what else to do. I read a book about hiding healthy things in your kids food (the sneaky chef, I think it was called) but that doesn't fix anything. Owen on the other hand will eat anything. He is only 11 months old and eats what we eat for dinner and shoves it in by the fist full. It's amazing how two kids can be so different. I'm with you on that one, though. If you find the answer, please share it with me!!!

Tia said...

I don't even remember what we talked about on the way home from pre-trek. I was half asleep, and I just remember you laughing really hard because you were so tired!
And I have the same problems w/ my kids eating. I'm just going to keep making the stuff I like, and force feeding the kids until they like it. Kev is not picky with my cooking, thank goodness.