Saturday, July 11, 2009

The First Trek Post

Frank and I went on our Stake's Pioneer Trek this last week as a Ma and Pa. I have to just say- it was such an eye-opening experience; it was wonderful, yet so hard at the same time. I was physically pulled to my limit where there were times I just wanted to pass-out and give-up. I was pulled to my emotional limit when I was happy and laughing one minute then frustrated, angry, and almost crying at the next. After the exhaustion of all the emotions I had a brief moment where I didn't care what happened- I just wanted to block everything out and go lay down. Luckily, that didn't last long because we had to keep going.
Obviously, I have a new-found appreciation for the pioneers. That is what the trek was all about. However, I also learned great lessons of humility, regret, patience, obedience, and love.

-Brief Log-
Day One: Get up to the beginning of the trail, get in families and start pulling/pushing handcarts around 12:30 pm. Didn't stop for camp until about 10:30 pm (14 miles later). We did stop for water and bathroom breaks every so often. Right before we stopped for camp the women did the women's pull (representing the time the men left for the Mormon Batallion and left the women to continue on the trail with their families) up a very big hill (more details later). Got Onion broth and a roll for dinner. Bed at 12:30 am.

Day Two: So tired, didn't sleep at all. Devotional, Family Time, Game Time, Break camp, continue for 6-7 more miles. Set-up camp, Family Time, Fireside, Hoe-Down, Family Night, Bed. Freezing Night.

Day Three: So tired, didn't sleep at all. Woke-up to frost on our sleeping bags and tarps, Devotional, Family Time, Solo/Journal/Read letter time, 1-2 mile hike, Family Time, Stake Presidency Fireside, Bed.

Day Four: I FINALLY GOT A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP. Devotional, Our Family Skit, Pictures, Break Camp, Continue for 8 miles, Lunch, HOME!!!!

I've never been so happy to see my wonderful three kids. Being on trek with 10 teenagers in our "family" made 4 days seem like a full week. There were awesome, fun times, but also so much drama.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!

*Sidenote* Back to life with little boys, one hour after being home Jackson hits his head on the sink and blood comes gushing out. It looked as if we had to take him to the ER for stitches, but luckily we didn't.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! I can't believe you already have a post up! I would be sleeping for days...good job! I want to hear all about it. I'm so impressed that you guys did this.

Tia said...

Is Jackson ok? I'm planning on doing a blog post soon, but I'm way behind and I have 4 other things to post about that happened before trek, and I want to keep everything in order. OCD!
I hope Jackson's okay!

Angie said...

I'm excited to hear all about it too! Good job for doing the Trek. It's not easy.

d.r. gib said...

You guys are amazing! I couldn't do it. You need a day off to relax before being "mom" again, but I am sure that won't happen.

T K Barlow said...

Hey Heidi, I am glad we've found your blog. You have such a beautiful family. Good for you too on the trek, very impressive.

Melissa said...

You got home on Saturday and shortly thereafter posted that you'd do it over again? I am speechless. I can't blog about trek until at least a week has passed...and maybe a massage?