Monday, August 31, 2009

Triathlon

Here's the group of us before the triathlon. Left to Right- Lindsay (my SIL), Me, Jessica's SIL (I forgot her name), Jessica, and Mindy.

We are feeling a little anxious and nervous. In fact, one of us was actually really sick, but she hid it so well and still beat my time.

Here we are having so much fun getting ready. I know we look pretty sexy.


Here I am swimming. This was the easiest part for me- probably because this was my main focus for training these last two weeks. I still wasn't fast, but I felt ok about it. Suprisingly, the water was warm.


Here I am taking off on the running just after biking. It seems to me as I was looking at all the pictures of me I definitely don't look like a professional athlete. Everyone else has a certain stance or form- I just go about flailing my arms in the pool and casually riding my bike like I'm on a joy ride and now I'm trotting off. Oh, so much fun. If any of you watch "Friends" you might remember the episode of Pheobe running with Rachel. Pheobe would run so spastic with her arms winding around like propellers almost, but it was the fun way to do it. Yep, that's me. Not a care in the world how I look, just that I get done without dying- plus propeller arms helps make you go fast :)

I just crossed the finish line and we were so happy. I couldn't believe I wasn't crawling across the finish line, which they said was allowed. It's nice to know I could have if I needed to. It was so fun doing this with Lindsay and the whole group. Even though I was the slowest it's great having a cheering squad yelling for you as you cross the line.

This was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. All the unknowns are gone and I was actually crazy enough to look into signing up for the Daybreak Triathlon in September which is open-water. But alas, it was full when I got on the website. It's probably a good thing. I am taking a break from the gym and to prove it I am actually eating cookies for breakfast.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations!! You are awesome!

d.r. gib said...

I think you look very athletic! (I love that episode of friends) You are amazing!

Angie said...

Way to go, Heidi! I'm proud of you for following through with this. What an accomplishment! And I had no idea Lindsay was your SIL.

Melissa said...

Yay Heidi! I didn't see any propeller arms in the pics - you look like you know what you're doing. Good for you -

Lindsay said...

YAY!!!
i don't think you looked like a big amateur. I think you looked like a pro. :)

The Mom said...

Yay! Congrats!

Mindy said...

I agree with Lindsay, you looked like a total pro! I seriously can't believe how much you improved your swim time! You rocked it! I'm so proud of you! You can come and train me to swim faster! :) Let's do it again! ;)p.s. I love the picture of Lindsay at the end!

Tia said...

I love that Friends episode, but you did NOT look like that. You looked awesome! It was so fun to come and watch you finish your first TRI! Keep it up, girl!

Kelly said...

Way to go!!

Mark and Kattie said...

Congrats, you all look great! I am so impressed that you did it!

Unknown said...

Wow! You are amazing!!! Way to go!

Mindy, Julia and Connor said...

Way to go Heidi!! You rock!