Thank you all who donated their things to sale as well as money. It was amazing to be part of something so amazing. It truly was a miracle. Let me share the details.
When I arrived at the house to set up at 6:00 am on Saturday (in the rain) there were at least 30 other people there working in the horrible weather setting up tarps, tables, and putting things out. I couldn't believe the community support. I just wanted to sit down, observe everyone in this selfless act, and cry.
Throughout the day there was never a lull in help or a lull in people buying things. It was a steady stream even in the pouring rain. I was helping in the bake sale area and oh my goodness, the things people made. One lady contributed almost 20 homeade frozen meals and those went really quick. NAPA donated 5 pallets of tools- not just screwdrivers and hammers, but air compressors, chainsaws, hydrolic car lifts, you name it and it was there. I'm sure that is where the bulk of the money came in.
It is truly amazing that we can lose ourselves in service and comletely get over what we have been going through. We have heard so many times: "when you are down serve someone". Well let me just testify that it works.
The final total of money earned in just this one yard sale/fundraiser: $9,800.00 !!!!
Can you believe the generostiy. There are still wonderful things happening out there despite the horror we hear on the news.
Last night we learned that Vittoria had triumphed over the pain of this mortal life. And even though a new heart did not come in time, Vittoria is happy. The money we earned will now help her family pay for funeral expenses and some of the medical bills that have been piling up.
Even though the money earned will not put a dent in the bills it helped me out more than anything. It brought the community together in one united cause and it helped my problems become insignificant- being part of something bigger than myself takes a lot of effort sometimes. It's hard to not feel sorry for what I'm going through, but I want to thank all of those who gave me this opportunity. Thank you Vittoria.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Update on Vittoria's Fundraiser
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh wow. I had forgotten to give you my donations! Camp last week kind of made me forgetful. I'm sorry to hear that she passed on, but like you said, she's in a better place. I'm so happy to hear about all of the support the family received. You're awesome for being a part of it. Thanks for sharing the experience with us!
Wow, that gives me goosebumps! So sad, but such a nice way to gather people together for a good cause!
I must have missed you! I too wanted to cry when I saw the soaked volunteers smiling, and so willing to help. I was so worried with the weather, but what an amazing turn out! I agree, I think I learned so much in just being part of this great effort. Her family is in our prayers, and we know Vittoria is with our Savior now. What an amazing and strong little girl!
Your such a great example to me, you do think of others often. The outcome of Vittoria's life is bitter-sweet. Their family will still be blessed by your service.
Thanks again for all of your help! Anyone who wants to help again, there is another yard sale fundraiser for the family on Saturday in South Jordan at 10114 south 3490 West. They are taking donations and hoping for shoppers. There will also be BBQ lunch available to buy. I think there are details on vittoriascorner.blogspot.com
Post a Comment