Today Frank got released from being the YM's President. He has been in YM's 4+ years. I know many other people serve in callings for much longer, but the YM's has been all we've known since we've lived in this ward.
That is 4 summers worth of Youth Conferences, High Adventure Camps, and other overnighters. About 180 weekly Wed. night activities (on busy holiday weeks they didn't have them). At least 48 firesides (once a month-sometimes more). Countless meetings. He has been dedicated to his calling. When we were told this was happening I was so happy. I will get my husband back. But now that it's officially happened and I talked to some of the young men, other leaders he has worked with, and the Bishop, I feel sad. It is bittersweet.
On all those camps, weekly activities, firesides, and meetings he has bonded with the YM. He has seen dorky Deacons who were very immature (let's admit they ALL are at one point) grow into spiritual mature Young Men. He has seen them go on missions. He has been there to help them solve problems, guide them, and teach them. He has seen so many transformations in all the youth and he has shared those experiences with me. Frank's testimony has grown and he has been spiritually touched by the growing testimonies of the boys as well. They all helped him in some way or another.
I know our family was blessed because of the sacrifice of time we gave so that Frank could do his calling. We were also blessed because of the spiritual experiences he shared with us that he had with the Youth.
I am not good with change. Heavens, I cried when I got released from Enrichment Leader. I get attached to being involved and getting to know people. I know Frank (and most men) don't cry or express the loss when released from a calling, but I know he will miss the boys and the weekly updates of what's going on in their lives. Change always happens and this one is for the good.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Bittersweet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, I had no idea Frank has been in YM's the whole time you have been in this ward. Change is a good thing, but it's hard sometimes. Tell Frank he did so much good with those boys. There were many shocked faces yesterday when he was released.
I was shocked. It is hard to change callings when you love them. Frank seemed perfectly suited to the young men. Then I began to wonder what opportunities he would have to touch other people. His personality and gospel knowledge will be put to good use. I imagine he will make waves wherever he is.
nate is currently the ym pres so we can relate. i wish that he had an easier calling with me being rs pres too. sundays are anything but a day of rest.
It's just time for something new! Thank you for all your service Frank (and Heidi - when your spouse has a calling, it's yours as well)! Serving with the youth is a busy busy time - the activities never stop. Enjoy a little more time with each other, because it probably won't last very long.
Post a Comment