Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Hunt is Over (hopefully)

Well... a while ago, atleast a couple of months, I was downstairs and Frank was in our bedroom working on the computer. He called down in a little bit of panic saying he thought he saw a mouse run from the door jam into our closet.

I ran upstairs and we tore apart our closet and never found anything or a hole. We cleaned, got everything off the floor and cleaned our bedroom spotless. I had nightmares that night and the next couple as well. Then I just chalked it up to Frank being delusional. (He is at night why not during the day as well, right?) A week or so went on with no sign of anything.

Then one night Frank and I were watching a movie in the family room. We heard this horrible squeaking coming from the kitchen area. Yep, a mouse noise for sure. Frank ran out to the store as fast as he could and grabbed 6 D-Con mousetraps. These were not your ordinary traps, they were the covered ones that helped protect little fingers from getting snapped as well as protecting our eyes from seeing a dead mouse if we happen to catch it. We baited them with Velveeta cheese and put one in our closet, one under the sink, one behind the fridge, one in the pantry, in our hall closet, and then one under our couch in the living room.

Weeks and weeks went by and no sign of a mouse, but none of the traps had been sprung either. I was being hopeful thinking it was gone.

Last Wednesday a friend was visiting and we were talking and we heard this awful scratching coming from inside our counter. Ugggh. It was so creepy. So I rebaited one of our traps, by now the cheese had dried up, and placed it under our kitchen drawers where I heard the scratching the night before.

The next night I was getting ready to leave and Jackson yelled that he just saw a mouse run from our stove to behind the microwave and then when Frank came back in they saw it run back behind the stove. Darn it, it was still visible and still around.

This called for extreme attention. I rebaited all the traps with peanut butter. Moved them around and put one under our oven.

LO and BEHOLD, I checked the trap in the pantry this morning and it said, "Caught". It had sprung and trapped the thing inside. Now there is no way to open it once it is shut (thank goodness) but a part of me is still thinking maybe that stupid mouse is still out there and for some odd reason the trap had set itself off.

Hopefully, this hunt is over, but I'm still keeping the other traps around just in case.

The yucky part is that I wouldn't have thought our house to be the kind to have a mouse in it. It's not usually too messy with clutter, let alone crumbs and food lying around. However, they can get in a hole the size of the width of a pencil. So now I just want to find every single hole from the outside in and shove mice poison in them just in case.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Ick! I'm glad that your little friend has been caught. Keeping my fingers crossed that you won't have anymore visitors.

Jessica said...

Wow!You have inspired me. I think we have a mouse in our garage. I'm going to find those nifty traps. Sounds like the perfect thing - a trap and you can't see it when it's dead and caught. :0)

Liz said...

Oh man, that terrifies me. I do not like mice. When I was little I was digging in the dog food bag to feed our dog and one ran up my arm. They have creeped me out ever since. I'm glad you caught yours! Now you can sleep!

The Mom said...

As I was reading this, I was thinking, "They need to use peanut butter." That is what mice really like. Glad you caught it. And your house doesnt have to be messy to have mice, just warm!

Angie said...

Never heard of those traps, but I love the idea of not having to find them dead. We had mice in our garden all summer. And with all the work in the basement, I'm surprised we haven't found one yet. I'm hoping yours is gone for good!

julie said...

Yuck! Once I saw a mouse run from my bedroom growing up and out my door. It freaked me out, and I would't walk on my floor the rest of the night. I REALLY hope you caught him and that he didn't have any friends.

Mindy said...

Oh Heidi! I absolutely loathe mice. We saw one in our Hotel room on our honeymoon in Maui. It creeped me out. They didn't even give us a new room, just set a trap and caught it while we were out, but yuck. I'm glad you caught yours! I actually have nightmares about mice. They scare me. Now I'm wondering if any could be in this house. It was empty for a year and a half before we moved in...

Unknown said...

My cat decided to catch a mouse and bring it to me while I was sleeping needless to say she put it by my head I thought it was her paw I found the tail amd screamed. I washed my sheets hair and blankets twice. I was so freaked out I didn't sleep. There is also another little nifty thing they are like pellets and they are in a foil bag and it poisons them and brain washes them they end up going outside and dying they are way good. Though you can only find them at hardwood stores

AMANDAM said...

I'm glad your mouse trap was successful. When we were in college, my friend had a mouse in her apartment. She just left out poison for it (no little kids to worry about). The mouse apparently ate the poison but didn't die immediately. She found its dead smashed body in her couch cushions weeks later when the place started to stink. It was so disgusting. Even after she cleaned the cushions, we only rarely sat on that couch. It gives me the creeps now just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Yay! You caught the mouse! Congrats. I hope there aren't any more.

Unknown said...

Okay, so that last comment by "Kevin" is really from me, Tia. I guess he's logged into blogger. Oops!

Jon, Keri, Addison, and Brooklyn said...

we saw a mouse in our house 2 days ago! Thank goodness we are moving out in a week:) WAHOO!