Monday, March 22, 2010

In my opinion

I don't have time to follow any more blogs, but I think this one is highly interesting as well as eye-opening so I look at it when I can.
It's called, "Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project".
It's about a teacher in Illinois who calls herself Mrs. Q (she would like to keep her job as long as possible). She took on the responsibility of eating the school hot lunch every single day for a whole school year and then blogging about it. She also has statistics and guest reporters. She is putting her job at risk and frequently has said, "It's not if I lose my job, it's when"- because eventually the administration will find out what she's doing.
There are two posts that I really like, first THIS one about what a school lunch looks like in Japan. It's no wonder they excel in education far greater than the U.S. The kids bodies and brains are getting fresh ingredients. They aren't being pumped full of processed foods, preservatives, and then crash after lunch because of a sugar rush.
The second is THIS and answers the question why we should worry about the food in the cafeteria when teachers are losing their job because of no funding.
I am not saying I'm a crazy advocate who is going to go to the capital petitioning for Japanese-homemade meals, however, I do think there is a problem.
I have always made Jackson's lunch. The few times he has had hot lunch he chooses the processed foods (hot dog, chicken nuggets, etc). Our school has given the option to the kids to choose healthy things, but do they do it when chicken nuggest are available? I would hope a lot of them do, but I don't think that is the case.
And also, when you look at that second post about numbers and class size, it makes me think we don't have it so bad here in Utah when our class sizes hardly get to 1:30 (although I know that's not even ideal).

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I watched a few minutes of this show last night with Jamie Oliver. He was working with some school lunch ladies to make healthier food. He served his stuff, they served their stuff. Obviously the kids all chose the pizza over the healthy chicken and rice....

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

That's why I wish they would have the guts to just cut out the pizza, then the kids wouldn't have an option. If they are hungry then they'll eat whatever was served (hopefully).

AMANDAM said...

I agree. That is such a good blog. It just presents the lunches and lets you decide. I do agree that the Japanese way, where lunch is an event and the lunch preparers are praised and feel pride in putting the meals together is better than our current system.

Amy said...

My sister works for Ephraim Elementary. She is a cook. She has a staff of 3 other ladies and they cook breakfast and lunch everyday for the kids. I had gone down a couple of months ago and had lunch with her. It was so yummy! She told me that there are only 3 schools that still cook for their schools. One is Manti High and the Middle School. I grew up there and that is what I always remember having "real food".
They already pay for someone to process the food. Why don't they pay for someone to actually cook fresh food!!