It's been 5 1/2 years since my Grandma passed away. She was the epitome of the classic Grandma- always smiling, loved being hugged, short curly gray hair, willing to share her life stories to anyone willing to listen. She lived for her grandchildren and always had treats stashed away for us. She served 6 missions, had a wonderful testimony of the gospel and made sure all forty grandchildren knew it. Her husband, my Grandpa, is still living with my parents and he is 93. He is old, stubborn, and grumpy. However, that is not how he used to be and that is not how I will remember him. Life has been tough for him lately and I understand why he is becoming the way he is. His mind is not right, he is getting weaker by the weeks, and his heart is failing him. But like my grandma he loves the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I hope I can always remember the wonderful memories with them.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Grandparents
As I was going through papers recently to move to our new office I came across a poem my cousin wrote for my grandma's funeral. It makes me teary-eyed, but in case I lose the paper I want a copy written down elsewhere.
Hold me a little longer
Rock me a little more
Tell me another story
You've only told me four
Let me sleep on your shoulder
I love to see you smile
I'll always love you mama
So stay a little while
Will you hold me a little longer, Grandma
Can you rock me a little more
Please tell me another story
You've only told me four
Let me sleep on your shoulder
I love to see your smile
I'll always love you Grandma
Can I stay a little while?
I'll hold your hand great Grandma
Can I read you a story or two
You look just like my mama
I'm sure going to miss times with you
It's time for you to go now, great Grandma
Please show me your sweet gently smile
Rest your poor weary shoulders
I'll see you in just a short while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How sweet. I miss my grandparents too.
Very sweet. Grandparents are the best!
Post a Comment