In the morning on Gavin's birthday Camberlyn and I went to the party store to get some balloons. The cashier was kind enough to give Camberlyn her very own purple, helium balloon. She loved it. She had it attached to her wrist while we walked out to the car and she just had so much fun playing with it in the car. She laughed while it tried to float away in the car. She spoke into it and made her voice sound funny. She punched it. As soon as we got home I tried to put it back on her wrist and she wouldn't have it. I showed her how to hold it really tight. As she was walking into the house, lo and behold, I quickly saw her purple balloon floating into the sky.
Oh how she sobbed. For 40 minutes. Inconsolable crying. Never has she been so upset. It was sad and I almost wanted to cry with her. She kept asking for me to get her balloon back. Then she started telling her brothers when they got home from school all about her purple balloon that flew away into the sky and that we can't get it because it's too far. She almost started crying again. She told my dad her story the next day and got teary-eyed while doing it. She has been very affected by this.
On Thursday night at Frank's release party she was lucky to get a yellow balloon and a green balloon. She was so happy, but still asked about her purple balloon. She held onto those new balloons so tight. I think she learned her lesson. She fell asleep in the car and still didn't let go of those balloons.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Lesson Learned
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Fantastic narrative. I could totally see her playing with her balloon. It is such a hard lesson to learn.
So sad! I remember when that happened to me when I was little. I just remember the feeling of helplessness. I wanted to fly so I could get my balloon!
But I'm glad she learned to hold on tight from now on.
Cute story. I can see my girls doing the same thing. In fact, Brooklyn has learned that lesson a few times and is now a little paranoid whenever she holds a balloon.
Oh, how sweet! I am a big fan of tying balloons to wrists so that doesn't happen! LOL
Post a Comment